Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 4320
- Spanish 107
- ENGLISH 1
- census_013 1
- Type
- Image 3891
- Still Image 286
- Text 228
- Text 19
Search Results 1491 to 1500 of 4442
-
Caption: "Italian Refugee Hut S.F. -- 1906." Makeshift hut with four unidentified men standing in doorway. After the earthquake and fire that destroyed much of San Francisco in April 1906, hundreds of thousands of people were left homeless. Many of these people established temporary refugee camps, using debris from the destruction to cobble together shelters.
Date: 1906
-
Correspondence from John L. DeWitt to Richard M. Neustadt regarding the successful collaboration between the various agencies
Date: November 26, 1942
-
Caption: "Tree in Center Planted with Shovel Full of Earth From Each State in U.S. -- Fraternity Park -- Havana, July 4, 34." This photograph captures a view of Havana's Fraternity Park. The area originally served the city as a military parade and training ground (called Campo de Marte). In 1928, the park was renovated and a ceiba (or kapok) tree was planted in one of the central parcels. This tree, seen in the center of this photograph, was planted as the Tree of American Fraternity. When Havana hosted the sixth International American Conference later in 1928 (also known as one of the Pan-American Conferences), each of the twenty-one visiting dignitaries brought earth from their native counties in which to plant the tree (William McCarthy mistakenly identified the earth as coming from each state in the U.S.).
Date: 7/4/1934
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of Land- Santa Clara County or San Franciquito or San Francisquito boundaries. Volume 1, page 680.
Date: 1839
-
Caption: "The Fatal Wedding," c. 1915, shows an unidentified bride, groom, and officiator at an outdoor wedding ceremony.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Fort Point S.F." c. 1906. See also 96-07-08-alb06-009 with caption: "Fort Point and Golden Gate." A view of Fort Point in the foreground, with ships in the bay. Fort Point was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861 of brick and mortar, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay.
Date: 1906