Search All Items
- Filters:
- Type
- Image 3886
- Still Image 2481
- Text 427
- Text 50
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
- Language
- English 6833
- Spanish 18
- ENGLISH 3
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
Search Results 1791 to 1800 of 6946
-
Caption: "U. S. 12" Barbett [sic] Carriage & Gun at Fort Flagler.," c. 1908-1912. View of a 12" disappearing gun installed at Fort Flagler. The coastal artillery fortification Fort Flagler was established in 1897 and activated in 1899. Most of the fort's buildings and batteries had been completed by 1907. Fort Flagler was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. Fort Flagler was decommissioned in 1953, and purchased by the State of Washington in 1955 for use as a state park.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "Pasadena," c. 1915, shows the Hotel Green, built by George Gill Green in 1893, and expanded by him in 1898 and 1903 with two additional structures. The hotel complex was sold to private investors and by 1924, the 1898 Central Annex structure (Frederick L. Roehrig, architect) was turned into apartments and renamed the Castle Green. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the California Register of Historic Places, and the City of Pasadena's list of historic places.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Office," c. 1915. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1915
-
Correspondence from Geo. J. Overholt to Earl Warren regarding potential internment of Japanese at Secret Valley
Date: March 11, 1942
-
Caption: "Saint Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, Louisiana. June 16, 1934." St. Louis Cathedral anchors one end of Jackson Square in New Orleans' French Quarter. The structure of the cathedral largely dates to the 1850 restoration and expansion of an older cathedral built on the site in 1793. Very little of the older church survived, although the central bell tower (added on to the older church in 1819) was reused in the new structure and is still extant today. A statue of Andrew Jackson mounted on a rearing horse (Clark Mills, sculptor) stands in the square in front of the cathedral. The sculpture was erected in 1856. See also 96-07-08-alb09-231.
Date: 6/15/1934
-
Governor's Office Memorandum from Helen R. MacGregor to Earl Warren regarding reparations for lost salaries
Date: August 29, 1946