Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 1851 to 1860 of 5420

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph x006

    Caption: "Delaware & Hudson R.R. Exhibit. Chicago. Sept. 21, 1934. First Locomotive to Operate on an American Railroad, August 8, 1829." View of a replica of the Stourbridge Lion, the first steam locomotive to operate in the U.S., on lines built by the Delaware and Hudson Railway (formerly the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company). The replica was displayed at the 1934 Century of Progress Exposition, celebrating Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. This photograph was loose in the box with Album 11.

    Date: 9/21/1934

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1297

    Kentucky Favorite

    Date: 1885

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0131

    El Gusto, El Conocedor, La Sublimidad, etc.

    Date: 1869

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0639

    Morning Glory

    Date: 1880

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 218

    Caption: "Montauk Lighthouse, Most Northern Point on Long Island, N.Y., Aug. 18, 1934." The Montauk Lighthouse, first lit in 1797, was the first lighthouse built in New York. Ezra L'Hommedieu designed the building as well as choosing its site on the eastern edge of Long Island. A renovation in 1860 raised the lighthouse to its current height of more than 110 feet. A larger lantern was installed at that time as well. Electrified in 1940, it is now a National Historic Landmark as well as an active lighthouse.

    Date: 8/18/1934

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 142

    Caption: "Buriel [sic] of the U.S.S. Bennington Victims. -- Fort Rosecrans." Shows a grave site with dozens of caskets ready for burial. A priest and two altar boys stand at one side of the caskets, while a large group of U.S. Navy sailors looks on from the other side. While sailing from port in San Diego on the morning of July 21, 1905, the boiler of the USS Bennington exploded, killing sixty-six of her crew. The victims were laid to rest in the cemetery at Fort Rosecrans. See also 96-07-08-alb08-217.

    Date: 1905-07-23

  • McCarthy Album 02, Photograph 007

    No Caption: Bug Gun, next to mortar Carriage damaged in test, Honolulu, Hawaii, c. 1906.

    Date: 1906

  • Correspondence on Assistance Payment Made

    Correspondence from Charles M. Wollenberg (by Bertha S. Underhill) to Toyoji Inouye regarding public assistance

    Date: July 12, 1945

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 201

    Caption: "Mission Cliff, San Diego.," c. 1905. View of the pavilion in San Diego's Mission Cliff Gardens. Originally opened in the 1880s as the "Bluffs" by the San Diego Cable Railway Company, the owners hoped to entice people to ride the cable cars by providing a recreational destination. The pavilion seen in the photograph was constructed in 1890. A few years later, the Citizens' Traction Company purchased the park and changed its name to Mission Cliff Park. In 1898, the property was sold yet again, this time to J.D. Spreckels and the San Diego Electric Railway Company. Spreckels hoped to transform the property into a quiet, restful, public botanical garden. The name changed again, to Mission Cliff Gardens, to reflect this change in direction for the park. The botanical gardens developed at the park became world-renowned before closing to the public in 1929. The property was subdivided in 1942, into residential lots.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 137

    No caption, c. 1906. William McCarthy in suit and bowler hat, posing next to a stream.

    Date: 1906