Search All Items
- Filters:
- Type
- Image 3886
- Still Image 2481
- Text 427
- Text 50
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
- Language
- English 6833
- Spanish 18
- ENGLISH 3
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
Search Results 2071 to 2080 of 6946
-
Caption: "Longfellow Bridge, Boston, Mass. Sept. 5, 1934." The Longfellow Bridge spans the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. Originally called the Cambridge Bridge, it replaced a wood structure called the West Boston Bridge that had been constructed in 1793. This wood bridge was unable to handle large volumes of traffic or the introduction of street cars, so a new bridge was built in the early twentieth century. Opened in 1906 as the Cambridge Bridge, the name was changed in 1927 to the Longfellow Bridge in honor of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It is colloquially known as the Salt and Pepper Bridge, as its central towers are reminiscent in shape of salt and pepper shakers.
Date: 9/5/1934
-
Caption: "Padre Junipero Sierra [sic] Monument. Monterey," c. 1915, shows a monument commemorating the Spanish Franciscan priest, Father Junipero Serra, who led the founding and construction of the Spanish Mission system in Alta California during the Spanish era. The monument was commissioned and erected in 1891 by Jane Stanford of Stanford University and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Del Monte.," c. 1920. William and Grace McCarthy standing with an automobile in front of the Hotel Del Monte. The second of three hotels built on the site, near Monterey, California, the building in this photograph was destroyed by fire in 1924. The property surrounding the hotel became known as Pebble Beach, now a world-renowned resort and golf course.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "N.Y. Sky Scrapers," c. 1925. Bird's eye view of a part of New York City, with the Woolworth building dominating the left side of the photograph. Constructed between 1910 and 1920 and designed by architect Cass Gilbert, the Neo-Gothic building was once the tallest in the world at 792 feet.
Date: 1925
-
Caption: "Smith Building -- Seattle." View of the neoclassical Smith Tower in Seattle, built by industrialist Lyman Cornelius Smith. At the time of its completion in 1914, the Smith Tower was the tallest building on the West Coast, until being superseded by the Space Needle in 1962. See also 96-07-08-alb05-177.
Date: 1914
-
Caption: "Battery Kinzie firing 'Trial Shots' Aug 1, 1912" and "No 10 Near Pt. Townsend, WA." Battery Kinzie was a coastal defense battery designed to include two 12-inch disappearing guns, installed at Fort Worden. Construction began in 1908. It was turned over to the U.S. Army's Coast Artillery Corps in 1912 for use in defending the entrance to Puget Sound. This postcard shows one of the 12-inch guns firing, with several unidentified men standing nearby holding their hands to their ears.
Date: 8/1/1912
-
Caption: "CHICAGO BOYS LANDING AT FORT ROSECRANS." View of US Navy sailors coming ashore at Fort Rosecrans. The flagship of the US fleet in the Pacific at the time, the USS Chicago was called to the fort after a boiler explosion on the USS Bennington killed sixty-six and wounded dozens more. A board of inquiry into the cause of the explosion was convened on board the Chicago. The board found that no error on the part of the Bennington's crew contributed to the explosion.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Fort Ward, Wash.," c. 1908-1912. View from Puget Sound of a wharf and other buildings of Fort Ward. Originally known as Bean Point, Fort Ward was established by the U.S. Army Coastal Artillery Corps in 1890. Re-named Fort Ward in 1903, the facility included four coastal batteries designed to assist in protecting Puget Sound and the nearby Naval Shipyard from enemy attack. Fort Ward was placed on inactive status in the 1920s, but was revived by the U.S. Navy during World War II. The Navy discovered the fort's location was ideal for listening to radio communications from Japan, and it subsequently became a top secret listening post with a link directly to Washington, D.C. The Navy continued the fort's use as a listening post until 1956, when it was again taken over by the U.S. Army. The Army subsequently stopped all activity in 1958, ultimately selling portions of the fort to the Washington State Park System in 1960. It is now a state park.
Date: 1908