Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 2121 to 2130 of 5420

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 064

    Caption: "Steamer Indianapolis, Seattle.," c. 1906-1908. View of the Indianapolis, a steamship in the fleet of the Alaskan Steamship Company. Built in 1904, the Indianapolis was purchased by the Alaskan Steamship Company (ASC) in 1906. In 1908, it was transferred to the Puget Sound Navigation Company, a subsidiary to the ASC. The Indianapolis was subsequently scrapped in Seattle, in 1938.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 238

    Caption: "Fort Point -- Interior," c. 1910. Postcard showing a view of an interior hall or walkway featuring several arches at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 274

    Caption: "Venice, Calif," c. 1911. Unidentified woman standing on a bridge over Lion Canal in Venice, California. In 1905, Abbot Kinney built a series of canals as part of a development project along Santa Monica Beach, hoping to recreate the look and feel of Italy's iconic "Floating City" in southern California. Called Ocean Park at first, gondoliers sailed boats under elegant bridges such as the one shown in this photograph, in an effort to attract businesses, residents, and investors. In 1911, the name officially changed to Venice. By 1929, however, many of the canals had been filled in to create roadways, and those canals that remained fell into disrepair. A revitalization movement in the early 1990s has restored some of the canals, and made the area a desirable residential neighborhood.

    Date: 1911

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 149

    No Caption: c. 1910. View of the Point Adams Lifesaving Station near Hammond, Oregon, including a rowboat ("Point Adams") manned by eight rowers, with one man at the rudder. The Point Adams Lifesaving Station was established in 1889 by the federal government, in response to growing numbers of merchant, fishing, and other sailing vessels along the Columbia River. The stationhouse, visible in the center of the photograph, was demolished in 1939 to make way for a new building. The two-bay boathouse visible at the right had to be moved in 1913-1915 due to erosion of the bank upon which it stood. The U.S. Coastguard took over operation of the station in 1915. The station remained operational until 1967. The remaining buildings now house the Point Adams Research Facility of the Northwest Fisheries Science Center.

    Date: 1910

  • California Constitution of 1849

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1849

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 012

    Caption: "Mortar Gun Practice -- Full Service, Fort Worden, Pt Townsend, Wash," c. 1910. The postcard shows several Howitzers, one of which is firing, as well as a group of men standing to the side with their hands over their ears. Construction began on Fort Worden in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1910

  • President Lyndon B. Johnson handing a signing pen to Senator Robert F. Kennedy at the signing ceremony for the Voting Rights Act

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1965

  • Telegram from Georgia Governor Goodwin Knight complaining about the use of federal troops to enforce integration of Little Rock Central High School, page 1

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1957

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 213

    Caption: "A.Y.P.E. Seattle Oregon Bldg." View of Oregon Building and bandstand, part of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Held in Seattle to celebrate the development of the Pacific Northwest, the fair attracted 3.7 million visitors over the course of its run from June to October 1909. Although most of the fair's buildings have since been destroyed, several of them now serve as part of the University of Washington campus.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 100

    No caption, c. 1909-1915. Group of unidentified men gathered around a part of what appears to be a 12-inch mortar at Fort Ruger, Hawaii. Farm buildings and rolling hills appear in the distance. Fort Ruger was established on the Island of O'ahu by the U.S. in 1906 as the Diamond Head Reservation. Its name was changed to Fort Ruger in 1909. See also 96-07-08-alb05-098 and 099.

    Date: 1915