Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5310
- Spanish 43
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- Type
- Image 3851
- Still Image 1032
- Text 431
- Text 22
- Textual 13
- Artifact/Ephemera 1
- Photographic--Print 1
Search Results 2141 to 2150 of 5420
-
Caption: "Fresno Court House.," c. 1920. Shows the historic Fresno County Courthouse, built in 1875, as well as a small fountain. This courthouse was torn down in 1966 to make way for a more modern facility.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "Apartments with their White Stone Steps, Baltimore, Maryland. July 30, 1934." View of several apartment buildings, almost identical, sheathed in brick with stone steps leading to the front doors.
Date: 7/30/1934
-
Caption: "Department of Agriculture - Plant Quarantine Inspection Station - Ft. Yuma. State Department of Public Works, Division of Architecture." Design and drawing by Alfred Eichler. Built in 1930. This was one of the first border stations and was situated in desert country; its purpose was to provide a stopping place for inspection of motor traffic coming into California in order to enforce quarantine against insect infestation of California agricultural products. Project for Department of Agriculture.
Date: 1930
-
Caption: "Coast Defense: 14 Inch Disappearing Gun." Another copy of a C.D. Heath photograph, this image shows a heavy artillery gun, with two unidentified men standing next to it, at the Sandy Hook Proving Ground. Located at Sandy Hook, New Jersey, the Sandy Hook Proving Ground was used by the U.S. Army to test ordinance and materiel from 1874-1919. See also 96-07-08-alb05-101.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Steamer EMPRESS OF INDIA at Vancouver dock, B.C.," c. 1908-1912. View of the Empress of India, built by England's Naval Construction & Armaments Co. in 1890 for the Canadian Pacific Steamships company. The Empress of India could accommodate up to 700 passengers, and was also used to carry mail between Hong Kong and Great Britain. She was sold in 1914 and refitted as a hospital ship for Indian soldiers. She was sold a final time in 1923, for scrap in Bombay.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "The Olympic Snow-capped Mountains.," c. 1908-1912. Vista of the Olympic Mountains in the distance. In the middle distance to the right can be seen the Eisenbeis Castle (now known as the Manresa Castle Restaurant and Lounge), built in 1892 by Charles Eisenbeis, a businessman and Port Townsend's first mayor. The photograph is centered around what appears to be a resort hotel situated a short distance from the Eisenbeis Castle. See also 96-07-08-alb02-058.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "D. & R. G. Depot, Salt Lake City," c. 1923. Constructed in 1910 by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad (D&RGW), this depot operated under the auspices of that railroad company until the 1970s. It served as a passenger depot for Amtrak from 1986 to 1999. The building is currently home to the Division of Utah State History and the Utah Department of Heritage & Arts.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Machine Shop -- Fort Winfield Scott," c. 1913. Low brick building with tile roof, with William McCarthy (far left) and two unidentified men standing in front. Fort Winfield Scott, formerly Fort Point, was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, however, for in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.
Date: 1913
-
Caption: "Sutter [sic] Fort. Sacramento.," c. 1920. A gun tower at Sutter's Fort, and a gate bracketed by two cannons. John Sutter established the fort in 1839, calling it New Helvetia. After the discovery of gold at one of Sutter's mills (at Coloma, on the American River), almost all of the fort's inhabitants left for the gold fields in the foothills. The fort deteriorated until being restored from 1891-1893. The fort is now the site of a State Historic Park. See also 96-07-08-alb05-118.
Date: 1920
-
Summarative report on the WRA Educational Program including scope, employees, cost, and future goals
Date: March 1, 1944