Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5310
- Spanish 43
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- Type
- Image 3851
- Still Image 1032
- Text 431
- Text 22
- Textual 13
- Artifact/Ephemera 1
- Photographic--Print 1
Search Results 2181 to 2190 of 5420
-
Caption: "#2 -- Record Oct 25, 09." This postcard shows plume of seawater thrown up by a mortar shell during target practice at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, however, for in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, however, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.
Date: 1909-10-25
-
Image withheld due to copyright considerations. For more information, please contact the California State Archives Reference Desk at ArchivesWeb@sos.ca.gov or (916) 653-2246. This postcard, sent to William and Grace McCarthy in May 1937, commemorates the coronation of George VI, King of Great Britain and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India. The front of the postcard features both an American flag and the Union Jack of Great Britain.
Date: 5/12/1937
-
Caption: "Main St. Salt Lake City, Utah. Oct. 4, 1934. Salt Lake City is Noted for Clean Broad Streets." Street scene, with a wide roadway stretching into what appears to be a downtown area in the distance.
Date: 10/4/1934
-
No caption, c. 1912-1915. Two unidentified women with four children, one of which (standing next to women at far left) is the same toddler who appears in 96-07-08-alb05-083 and 084.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Del Mar," c. 1915-1916. View from road adjacent to the hotel. The Stratford Inn (which opened in 1909) became the Hotel Del Mar in 1926. It was torn down in 1969, and subsequently rebuilt in the 1980s.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Garfield Park Conservatory - Chicago," c. 1925. Construction began on the Garfield Park Conservatory in 1906. Opened to the public in 1908, the Conservatory is one of the largest greenhouse conservatories in the United States.
Date: 1925
-
Alternate sketch of Main Entrance, Administration Building, Riviera Campus, Santa Barbara State College, by Alfred Eichler. Built, but not according to this design. Project for Department of Education. The image, eichler_f3274_191, is inset on the image, eichler_f3274_190.
Date: 1926
-
No Caption: William and Grace McCarthy (in white dress) are seen standing before the entrance to the California Building at the Panama-California Exposition in Balboa Park, San Diego. See also 96-07-08-alb01-159.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Market St. S.F," c. 1910, shows Market Street in San Francisco, possibly during a parade to celebrate Admission Day on September 9, when California was admitted as a state into the U.S.
Date: 1910
-
No Caption: see also 96-07-08-alb01-160, with the caption: "Cabrilla [sic] Bridge." Built for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition, the Cabrillo Bridge continues to provide access between Balboa Park and the uptown area of San Diego.
Date: 1915