Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 2301 to 2310 of 5420

  • Ellen Ochoa, STS-56 mission specialist, takes a brief time out from a busy day in space to play a 15-minute set of flute music on the space shuttle Discovery’s aft flight deck

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1993

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 065

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House [sic]," c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at the fort. The man and woman shown in the photograph (standing with a dog) are likely Charles H. Davis and his second wife Delia (Overton) Davis. Charles Davis was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park. See also 96-07-08-alb02-057.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 114

    Caption: "400 Pound Turtles Ready for Shipment -- Key West July 2, 1934." Several slaughtered sea turtles on a wharf in Key West. Turtle meat and eggs were popular food items in the early-to-mid twentieth century; turtle fat was especially prized for making turtle soup. Turtle kraals (corrals) and a cannery were built as the Key West area began to develop. However, the turtle population plummeted in the Florida Keys and surrounding areas as the twentieth century progressed and demand for turtle meat, eggs, and fat increased. The Key West turtle fishing industry halted after the Endangered Species Act was passed in 1971. Turtle populations have since started to recover. The cannery now serves as the Key West Turtle Museum.

    Date: 7/2/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 018

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House [sic]," c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park. See also 96-07-08-alb03-065.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 275

    Caption: "Sky Ride Across Lagoon. View from Swifts Music Stand. Chicago Fair, Sept. 18, 1934." One of the 628-foot towers making up the Sky Ride, an aerial tramway which carried fair goers in small gondolas or trams (visible in the center of the photograph) over the harbor around which the Century of Progress Exposition was held. Over 4.5 million passengers enjoyed the views from the Sky Ride before it was demolished after the conclusion of the exposition in 1934. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms."

    Date: 9/18/1934

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 276

    Caption: "Hotshkiss [sic], 1 pounder." The United States purchased artillery from the French arms firm, Hotchkiss, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The arms firm was created by American gunsmith, Benjamin B. Hotchkiss, who moved to France in 1867 to set up the factory. The heavy artillery was first used by the United States against the Nez Perce in 1877. In 1890, they were used at the Wounded Knee Massacre, and also for the attack on San Juan Hill during the Spanish-American War.

    Date: Undated

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 126

    Caption: "Main [sic] Memorial, ial [sic -- cut off in original photograph] Monument and National Hotel. Havana. July 4, 34." Designed by McKim, Mead and White, the Hotel Nacional in Havana opened in 1930. In the foreground is the Monument to the Victims of the USS Maine, two columns topped by an eagle with outstretched wings, built in 1925 to memorialize the American sailors who died in an explosion on the USS Maine in 1898. The eagle and other features of the monument were removed in 1961 as symbols of imperialism.

    Date: 7/4/1934

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 063

    Caption: "Fort Worden, Wash." Washington, c. 1908.Construction of Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound began in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire", three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 151

    No Caption: c. 1898. View of Tillamook Rock Lighthouse and the small basalt rock upon which it sits, over one mile into the ocean from Tillamook Head. Built between 1880-1881, the treacherous ocean currents and often inclement weather associated with the area earned the lighthouse its nickname "Terrible Tillie" or "Tillie." This photograph was taken before the roof of the lighthouse was raised by five feet in 1898, to help prevent damage to the roof and the interior by crashing waves. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1957.

    Date: 1898

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 239

    Caption: "Fort Worden, Wash.," c. 1909. Panoramic view of Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound. Construction began on the fort in 1898. By 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1909