Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 2321 to 2330 of 5420

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 254

    Caption: "Camp Curry- Yosemite," c. 1917. Yosemite's Half Dome Village, established by David and Jennie Curry in 1899, was originally called Camp Curry, and later Curry Village. It was designed to provide cheaper accommodations for Yosemite tourists than the resort hotels. The couple rented out furnished tents and provided amenities such as a dining tent. As time progressed, the amenities increased, and some hard-sided cabins created. This photograph shows a bustling scene around a large wood cabin with a wide covered porch. As a result of a legal dispute over trademarked names in the park, Curry Village changed its name to Half Dome Village in 2016.

    Date: 1917

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 034

    Caption: "U.S. Mint unhurt," c. 1906. Pictured is the U.S. Mint building in San Francisco, which opened in 1874, after the original 1854 building was outgrown, which had been established to serve the gold mines during the California Gold Rush. The building suffered little damage after the 1906 earthquake. The facility served as the San Francisco U.S. Mint until 1937, when workers moved to a larger and more modern building. In 1961, the old U.S. Mint, known as the "Granite Lady," was designated a National Historic Landmark.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 159

    No Caption: The photograph has a hand-written inscription stating: "Portola Electric Bell Copyright 1909 Pillsbury Picture Co. No. 800." Installed on the intersection of Third and Market Streets in San Francisco, the Portola Electric Bell contained two thousand bulbs and rose 125 feet above the street. It was part of the Portola Festival of 1909, a grand celebration devised to commemorate the discovery of San Francisco Bay by Gaspar De Portola, and for the public to celebrate the future of the rebuilt city after the 1906 earthquake and fires.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 009

    Caption: "Olvera St. Mexican Market Place, Los Angeles, May 18, 1934." View of the Olvera Street Market in Los Angeles. In 1926, Christine Sterling began efforts to preserve the buildings on and around Olvera Street (one of the oldest parts of Los Angeles). After several years of struggle and fundraising, Olvera Street was closed to automobile traffic in 1929, and opened as the Paseo de Los Angeles in 1930. The street and its market quickly became popular tourist sites, promoters touting the area as "A Mexican Street of Yesterday in a City of Today."

    Date: 5/18/1934

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 001

    Caption: "Fort Point." c. 1906. See also 96-07-08-alb06-009 with caption: "Fort Point and Golden Gate," and 96-07-08-alb03-118, San Francisco. Fort Point in the foreground, with ships in the bay. Fort Point was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861 of brick and mortar, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 199

    Caption: "Statue of Liberty, New York. Aug 2, 1934." View of the Statue of Liberty on Bedloe Island (now called Liberty Island). Designed by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, the now-iconic statue was a gift from the people of France to the U.S. Built in segments in France by Gustave Eiffel (also famous for building the Eiffel Tower in Paris), the pieces were shipped from Paris to New York in 1885 and assembled. The Statue of Liberty was subsequently dedicated on October 28, 1886.

    Date: 8/2/1934

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 253

    No caption c. 1917. Grace McCarthy and two unidentified people pose under a log sign reading "Camp Curry." Yosemite's Half Dome Village, established by David and Jennie Curry in 1899, was originally called Camp Curry, and later Curry Village. It was designed to provide cheaper accommodations for Yosemite tourists than the resort hotels. The couple set up furnished tents and provided amenities such as a dining tent. The entrance sign seen in this photograph was erected in 1914. As a result of a legal dispute over trademarked names in the park, Curry Village changed its name to Half Dome Village in 2016.

    Date: 1917

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 163

    Caption: "View of Fair Grounds, Portland." This photograph shows several buildings of the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition, including the Foreign Palace (foreground), the Oriental Palace to its left, and the darkly-colored Forestry Building at the far left. The exposition was held in Portland, Oregon from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 170

    Caption: "Fort Worden Wash.," c. 1909. Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound. Construction began on the fort in 1898. By 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the State of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 054

    Caption: "Dry Dock, Bremerton." Bremerton, Washington, c. 1908-1912. See also 96-07-08-alb08-085. View of a dry dock at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington. Established in 1891 as a naval station, it became Naval Yard Puget Sound in 1901. During World War I the shipyard constructed hundreds of ships to support the war effort, while in World War II, the shipyard was dedicated primarily to repairing damaged ships. Today, it contains a portion of the U.S. Navy's mothball fleet (ships retired but retained in case of future need), as well as building, repairing, and maintaining sea-going vessels of all kinds.

    Date: 1908