Search All Items
- Filters:
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1866
- Text 426
- Text 51
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
- Language
- English 6200
- Spanish 19
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
Search Results 11 to 20 of 6290
-
Caption: "Machine Shop -- Fort Winfield Scott," c. 1913. Low brick building with tile roof, with William McCarthy (far left) and two unidentified men standing in front. Fort Winfield Scott, formerly Fort Point, was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, however, for in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.
Date: 1913
-
No caption. Letter from Henry Golombeck of the U.S. Navy to William and Grace McCarthy, on the letterhead of the USS New York, dated May 14, 1937, and sent from London England.
Date: 5/14/1937
-
Pamphlet on Earl Warren's declaration of candidacy and the importance of civilian defense in time of war
Date: Undated
-
Correspondence from Helen Heffernan to Genevieve Carter reagrding overview of inspection of Manzanar
Date: October 11, 1943
-
No Caption. An unidentified newspaper article detailing a brief history of the Cliff House the day after it was destroyed by fire in 1907.
Date: 1907
-
Caption: "Spanish Slave Market, St. Augustine, Florida. July 10, 1934." An open-air pavilion with a gabled roof and six bays appears in the center of this photograph, somewhat obscured by surrounding trees and vegetation. The waterfront site on which the pavilion sits has served St. Augustine as a marketplace since the city's founding in the sixteenth century, for food, commercial goods, and for slaves. The pavilion in the photograph was constructed in 1888, after a fire burned down the previous structure. In the twentieth century, entrepreneurs used the slave market aspect of the site's history as a hook to entice northern tourists into St. Augustine's historic quarter. The market has often served as a rallying site for protestors, from suffragettes to protestors of the war in Iraq. Various civil rights marches held around the market in the 1960s attracted such luminaries as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Andrew Young.
Date: 7/10/1934