Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 3681 to 3690 of 5052

  • Old Series Trademark No. 3545

    California Bottling Co., S.F.

    Date: 1899

  • Minutes of Meeting of State Advisory Board on Law Enforcement

    Excerpt from meeting minutes of the State Advisory Board on Law Enforcement; Discussion on the return of Japanese and interactions with servicemen

    Date: January 5, 1945

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 155

    Caption: "Subtreasury - Wall Street - Washington Statue Marking Spot Where Washington Took His Oath of Office April 30 1789." The original building on this site, constructed in 1700, served as New York's city hall, then as the Capitol for the newly-created United States under the Constitution of 1789, and was the site of George Washington's inauguration as the first U.S. President. The original building was demolished in 1812, but a new building, designed to house the U.S. Custom House for the Port of New York, was opened in 1842. It is this building that is seen in the photograph. The new building subsequently housed one of six U.S. sub-treasuries between 1862 and 1920. A statue of George Washington (John Quincy Adams Ward, sculptor) was erected in front of the building in 1882, to commemorate the approximate site of Washington's inauguration. See also 96-07-08-alb11-204.

    Date: 8/6/1934

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2647

    Coat of Arms of Queen Emma

    Date: 1895

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 056

    Caption: "Santa Rosa Court House.," c. 1914. Built in 1910, this building replaced the original Sonoma County courthouse that was destroyed by the great earthquake and fire that ravaged the San Francisco Bay Area in 1906. This second courthouse served the county for more than fifty years before being declared seismically unsafe in the 1960s. It was subsequently torn down, but the area still retains the name "Old Courthouse Square."

    Date: 1914

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 286

    Caption: "USS Connecticut, Admiral Evans," c. 1908. View of the USS Connecticut, with an inset circular photograph of Admiral Evans. The USS Connecticut was commissioned on September 29, 1906 as the most advanced ship in the U.S. Navy. Because the provisions of the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 stipulated that older battleships would be disposed of, the Connecticut was decommissioned and sold for scrap in 1923.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 209

    Caption: "Coronado Tent City.," c. 1910. Beach scene near the Coronado Hotel, showing groups of people enjoying a day at the sea shore. Established in 1900 for travelers who could not afford to stay in the resort hotel, the Coronado Tent City consisted of a grid of streets lined with furnished tents, near the sea shore. It also featured restaurants, a library, soda fountain, theater, bandstand, and other recreational facilities.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 141

    Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Gate," c. 1905, Benicia, California. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops, from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 060

    Caption: "French 75 Millimeter Gun Model of 1897." c. 1912-1915. William McCarthy posing with a French 75mm field gun, with an unidentified man. Commonly called the French 75, or simply the 75, this heavy, rapid-fire artillery gun was developed in 1897. During World War I it was adapted to fire shells full of toxic gas, and was also modified for mounting on an armored vehicle. See also 96-07-08-alb05-061.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 055

    Caption: "Mammoth Hot Springs Resort," c. 1923. Grace McCarthy poses in front of Mammoth Hot Springs Resort. Originally called the National Hotel, the building opened for business in 1883. It underwent significant alterations and renovations between 1911 and 1913, by which time the resort was known as the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. The hotel was torn down in 1936 in favor of a more modern facility.

    Date: 1923