Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 4221 to 4230 of 5402

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 231

    Caption: "Elementary Principles of Machine Design, WM McCarthy," (William McCarthy, Illustrator).

    Date: Undated

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2246b

    Golden Chasselas

    Date: 1893

  • Old Series Trademark No. 3608

    Fruitone medicine

    Date: 1900

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1669

    Orangine

    Date: 1888

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0071

    Electro Silicon

    Date: 1867

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 051

    Caption: "Training Ship. Bremerton," Washington, c. 1908 - 1912. See also 96-07-08-alb08-086. View of the USS Philadelphia (C-4). The fourth ship to bear the name, the Philadelphia first launched in September 1889. She sailed as part of the U.S. Navy's Atlantic Squadron until 1893. She then sailed into the Pacific Ocean, where she served until being decommissioned and docked in Puget Sound in 1902. In 1904, the Navy "housed over" the ship (adding the roofed quarters visible on the upper deck in the photograph) and designated her a receiving ship for new sailors not yet assigned to a crew. The Philadelphia served in this capacity until 1912. After a brief stint as a prison ship, the Philadelphia again became a receiving ship in 1916. The Navy sold her in 1927.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 313

    Caption: "Yosemite Falls," c. 1917. Both Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls can be seen in this photograph, taken at a location near the base of Lower Yosemite Fall. The highest waterfall in Yosemite National Park, it is made up of two successive cascades falling a total of 2,425 feet from the top of the Upper Fall to the base of the Lower Fall. The Upper Fall alone is 1,430 feet high, and is one of the top twenty highest waterfalls in the world.

    Date: 1917

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 137

    Caption: "N.Y. State Capitol - Albany." New York State's Capitol Building was constructed between 1867 and 1899. The initial architect, Thomas Fuller, designed the first floor in a Classical or Romanesque style. He was replaced by Leopold Eidlitz and Henry Hobson Richardson, who designed the next two floors in a Renaissance style. The final architect to preside over the project, Isaac G. Perry, completed the building in a Victorian-Romanesque style. See also 96-07-08-alb11-247.

    Date: 9/7/1934

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 015

    Caption: "Old Geary Street Line -- Last Days Work of our Old Faithful Friend." Photograph of a horse-drawn cable car, on the last day of operation of the Geary Street, Park and Ocean Railway. One of the first railways established in San Francisco, the line operated from 1880 until May 1912 when it was taken over by the city and converted to an electric streetcar line.

    Date: 1912-05

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 044

    Caption: "Lower Falls - Yellowstone," c. 1923. This photograph features the massive Lower Yellowstone Falls, as seen from the falls' base. A group of unidentified people standing to one side provides some sense of scale. As the Yellowstone River flows north from Yellowstone Lake it passes over two waterfalls (Upper and Lower Yellowstone Falls) before reaching the Yellowstone Grand Canyon. The 308-foot Lower Yellowstone Falls carries more water volume than any other waterfall in the Rocky Mountains.

    Date: 1923