Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 4772
- Spanish 11
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3784
- Still Image 595
- Text 378
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 4301 to 4310 of 4835
-
Office Memorandum from Elizabeth B. MacLatchie to Martha A. Chickering regarding Japanese children in institutions
Date: April 3, 1942
-
Caption: "Tamiami Trail Through the Florida Everglades, June 27, 1934." Asphalt-paved road stretching into the distance, flanked on one side by a canal. The Tamiami Trail constitutes a scenic portion of what is now U.S. Highway 41. Work on a road connecting Tampa with Miami began in 1915, but the Trail was not officially opened until 1928. Work on the route required building across a portion of the massive swamp system of the Everglades. Workers dredged and blasted a canal along the route, and used the fill dirt thus removed to construct the roadway proper.
Date: 6/27/1934
-
Caption: "Empire State Building in Center, Lower Manhattan in the Distance. View from Radio City Bldg. New York. Aug. 3, 1934." The Empire State Building dominates this bird's eye view of New York. Construction began on this iconic 102-story building, designed by William F. Lamb, in 1930. Completed by early 1931, it held the title of world's tallest building for almost 40 years, until being surpassed in 1970 by the construction of the World Trade Center's North Tower. It is now the fifth-tallest building in the U.S., and the 28th-tallest in the world.
Date: 8/3/1934
-
Caption: "Main [sic] Memorial, ial [sic -- cut off in original photograph] Monument and National Hotel. Havana. July 4, 34." Designed by McKim, Mead and White, the Hotel Nacional in Havana opened in 1930. In the foreground is the Monument to the Victims of the USS Maine, two columns topped by an eagle with outstretched wings, built in 1925 to memorialize the American sailors who died in an explosion on the USS Maine in 1898. The eagle and other features of the monument were removed in 1961 as symbols of imperialism.
Date: 7/4/1934