Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 4491 to 4500 of 4835

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 223

    Caption: "Indian over 100 years old," c. 1905. Elderly man, possibly of Native American ethnicity, standing in front of a barn. Taken around 1905 in San Diego near the Old Mission, If William McCarthy's description is accurate, this person was born while California was under Spanish rule. Possibly of the Kumeyaay tribe, whose members had lived in the area long before the Spanish arrived, he may have lived and worked at Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá (Mission San Diego) or at a nearby Indian village.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 173

    Caption: "Fort Casey Lighthouse.," c. 1909. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. Deactivated in 1922, the lighthouse has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 203

    Caption: "INDIAN over 100 years old," c. 1905. Elderly man, possibly of Native American ethnicity, standing in front of a barn. Taken around 1905 in San Diego near the Old Mission, If William McCarthy's description is accurate, this person was born while California was under Spanish rule. Possibly of the Kumeyaay tribe, whose members had lived in the area long before the Spanish arrived, he may have lived and worked at Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá (Mission San Diego) or at a nearby Indian village.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 127

    No Caption: View of the Forestry Building at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Grace McCarthy is seated on a bench in front of the building, in a light-colored dress and hat. Made out of unpeeled logs, the Forestry Building was demolished in the 1930s. Held in Seattle to celebrate the development of the Pacific Northwest, the fair attracted 3.7 million visitors over the course of its run from June to October 1909. Although most of the fair's buildings have since been destroyed, several of them now serve as part of the University of Washington campus.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 323

    Caption: "Golden Gate Bridge, Opening Day, May 28, 1937." Dozens of automobiles are visible crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in this photograph, taken on the bridge's Opening Day, the first day that vehicular traffic was allowed over the bridge. Completed in 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge spans the mouth of San Francisco Bay (called the Golden Gate), connecting San Francisco with Marin County to the north. It is one of the most recognizable bridges in the world, and was named in 1994 as one of the Modern Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

    Date: 5/28/1937

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 158

    Caption: "Grants Tomb. N.Y." The remains of Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the U.S. and Commanding General of the Union Army during the last year of the Civil War, were laid to rest in this elaborate tomb, designed by architect John Duncan. Grant died in 1885, but construction on the granite and marble structure did not begin until 1891. Grant's remains were transferred to the tomb on April 27, 1897. The tomb is the largest mausoleum in North America. See also 96-07-08-alb11-209.

    Date: 8/10/1934

  • Correspondence on Resettlement Assistance

    Correspondence from Beulah L. Lewis to Charles M. Wollenberg regarding housing shortage in Los Angeles County Resettlement Program and Winona and Lomita Housing Project; Attachments: Correspondence on Winona Housing Project (F3729_11_018g) and Correspondence on Housing Shortage (F3729_11_018h)

    Date: May 28, 1946

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0828

    The Ramos Pioneer St. Helena Sherry House

    Date: 1882

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1916

    English Flag Packing Co.

    Date: 1891

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2306

    Reina Luisa

    Date: 1893