Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 4971 to 4980 of 5043

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 196

    Caption: "Green Hotel, Pasadena, Cal.," c. 1905. View of Castle Green, built as an annex to the Hotel Green in 1899. The original Hotel Green opened for business as a lavish resort in 1894. Its success prompted owner George Gill Green to expand the hotel and build the additional facility shown here, connected to the original hotel by an elaborate enclosed pedestrian bridge (seen at the far right of this photograph). This second building, designed by architect Frederick I. Roehrig with Spanish, Moorish, and Victorian elements, became known as "Castle Green." Business declined in the 1910s, and the complex was sold to a series of investors. In the mid-1920s, Castle Green was subdivided into fifty residential apartments. It remains a residential complex today.

    Date: 1905

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0199

    Horseman's Collar Gall and Hoof Ointment

    Date: 1871

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1869

    Millbrae

    Date: 1890

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0051

    Mylott's Best Golden Gate, Colfax Erin's Pride

    Date: 1866

  • Old Series Trademark No. 3274

    Stag

    Date: 1898

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1219

    Little Mischief, Irma, Spring, True Love, etc.

    Date: 1885

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1265

    Boston One Price Clothing House

    Date: 1885

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2321

    World's Exposition Cure

    Date: 1893

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 239

    Caption: "Fort Point," c. 1910. This postcard shows a view of Fort Point, at the entrance to San Francisco Bay. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 201

    Caption: "Mission Cliff, San Diego.," c. 1905. View of the pavilion in San Diego's Mission Cliff Gardens. Originally opened in the 1880s as the "Bluffs" by the San Diego Cable Railway Company, the owners hoped to entice people to ride the cable cars by providing a recreational destination. The pavilion seen in the photograph was constructed in 1890. A few years later, the Citizens' Traction Company purchased the park and changed its name to Mission Cliff Park. In 1898, the property was sold yet again, this time to J.D. Spreckels and the San Diego Electric Railway Company. Spreckels hoped to transform the property into a quiet, restful, public botanical garden. The name changed again, to Mission Cliff Gardens, to reflect this change in direction for the park. The botanical gardens developed at the park became world-renowned before closing to the public in 1929. The property was subdivided in 1942, into residential lots.

    Date: 1905