Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5001 to 5010 of 5402

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2162

    Nuovo San Gottardo Hotel

    Date: 1892

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0956

    Faithful

    Date: 1883

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0188

    Pipifax

    Date: 1870

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 105

    Caption: "Hialeah Race Track -- Miami -- Florida July 1, 1934." Grace McCarthy standing behind the grandstand at Hialeah Park Race Track, in Hialeah (near Miami). Constructed in 1922 as a greyhound racetrack, Hialeah began hosting horse races in 1925. Joseph E. Widener purchased the track in 1930. He embarked upon a series of improvements, adding a grandstand (seen here) and clubhouse facilities designed by Lester W. Geisler, as well as landscaped gardens and a lake in the infield that became home to a flock of flamingos. The new and improved Hialeah track, now called Hialeah Park, officially opened in 1932.

    Date: 7/1/1934

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 207

    Caption: "Municipal Bldg. N.Y." c. 1925. The statue Civic Virtue Triumphant Over Unrighteousness (Frederick William MacMonnies, sculptor) stands in the foreground of this photograph. The statue, unveiled in 1922, now stands in Brooklyn's Green-Wood Cemetery. New York City's Municipal Building rises above the statue in the background. Built between 1907-1914 and designed by architect William M. Kendall, the Municipal Building was constructed in order to consolidate several different municipal agencies under one roof and thereby save the city rent for multiple buildings. In 2015, it was renamed the David N. Dinkins Municipal Building, after a former New York City mayor.

    Date: 1925

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 091

    Caption: "Tamiami Trail Through the Florida Everglades, June 27, 1934." Asphalt-paved road stretching into the distance, flanked on one side by a canal. The Tamiami Trail constitutes a scenic portion of what is now U.S. Highway 41. Work on a road connecting Tampa with Miami began in 1915, but the Trail was not officially opened until 1928. Work on the route required building across a portion of the massive swamp system of the Everglades. Workers dredged and blasted a canal along the route, and used the fill dirt thus removed to construct the roadway proper.

    Date: 6/27/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 210

    Caption: "CORONADO. TENT CITY.," c. 1910. View of rows of tents and sheds thatched in palm fronds along the coast near Coronado Hotel, with people strolling along the roadways. Established in 1900 for travelers who could not afford to stay in the resort hotel, the Coronado Tent City consisted of a grid of streets lined with furnished tents, near the sea shore. It also featured restaurants, a library, soda fountain, theater, bandstand, and other recreational facilities. See also 96-07-08-alb05-202 and 96-07-08-alb08-263.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 159

    Caption: "Government exhibits of shot etc., Government Building." Exhibit of various types of heavy ordnance shells, including armor piercing shells as well as torpedoes. The exhibit was located in the Government Building of the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition, held in Portland, Oregon from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries. See also 96-07-08-alb05-206.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 263

    No Caption: c. 1910. View of rows of tents and sheds thatched in palm fronds along the coast near Coronado Hotel, with people strolling along the roadways. Established in 1900 for travelers who could not afford to stay in the resort hotel, the Coronado Tent City consisted of a grid of streets lined with furnished tents, near the sea shore. It also featured restaurants, a library, soda fountain, theater, bandstand, and other recreational facilities. See also 96-07-08-alb05-202 and 96-07-08-alb08-210.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 247

    Caption: "Capitol Building of New York State, Albany, N.Y., Sept. 7, 1934." New York State's Capitol Building was constructed between 1867 and 1899. The initial architect, Thomas Fuller, designed the first floor in a Classical or Romanesque style. He was replaced by Leopold Eidlitz and Henry Hobson Richardson, who designed the next two floors in a Renaissance style. The final architect to preside over the project was Isaac G. Perry, who completed the building in a Victorian-Romanesque style. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1979.

    Date: 9/7/1934