Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5161 to 5170 of 5402

  • Los Angeles Council of the National Negro Congress Telegram, State Athletic Commission Records, Investigation Files, F2219, California State Archives.

    This item has no description.

    Date: undated

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 237

    Caption: "Thames River Bridge, New London, Connecticut. Where Harvard and Yale Hold their Annual Rowing Regatta, Sept. 4, 1934." View of two bridges over the Thames River near New London, Connecticut. The drawbridge in the foreground was originally a railroad bridge, built in the late nineteenth century. Later, as automobiles grew in popularity, this bridge was converted to use by vehicles (cars can be seen driving over it in this photograph), and a second bridge was constructed for railroad use (a locomotive can be seen behind the two cars). Neither of these bridges survives today, having been replaced by the Gold Star Memorial Bridge.

    Date: 9/4/1934

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 075

    Caption: "Silver Springs -- Florida, June 24, 1934." Grace McCarthy seated in a gazebo with a conical roof sheathed in grass or brush. Silver Springs, a series of artesian springs in Marion County, was Florida's first tourist attraction. The area began to attract visitors after the Civil War, in the late 1860s. In the late 1870s, entrepreneurs started offering glass-bottom boat tours of the springs. The locale became popular in the 1930s with film producers: several of the original Tarzan movies were filmed here, as was the Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954).

    Date: 6/24/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 055

    Caption: "12" Barbett [sic], Fort Flagler.," c. 1908-1912. View of a 12" disappearing gun at Fort Flagler. The coastal artillery fortification Fort Flagler was established in 1897 and activated in 1899. Most of the fort's buildings and batteries had been completed by 1907. Fort Flagler was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. Fort Flagler was decommissioned in 1953, and purchased by the State of Washington in 1955 for use as a state park.

    Date: 1908

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0168

    Norman Bitters

    Date: 1870

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0480

    Golden Rule Bazaar

    Date: 1879

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2801

    New York Dental Parlors

    Date: 1896

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0762

    Pioneer Mills

    Date: 1881

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 021

    Caption: "San Francisco Fire April 8 [sic], 1906." Photograph of a page from the Seattle Daily Times. The headline reads "Photographic Glimpses of the Once Proud City." Several photographs of significant buildings in San Francisco are shown (such as the City Hall), all of which are listed as having been destroyed by the earthquake and fire of April 6th.

    Date: 1906

  • Ausaymas y San Felipe Rancho

    Hand-drawn sketch map of Ausaymas y San Felipe boundaries. Volume 1, page 362.

    Date: 1833