Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5171 to 5180 of 5968

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0051

    Mylott's Best Golden Gate, Colfax Erin's Pride

    Date: 1866

  • Ellen Ochoa, STS-56 mission specialist, takes a brief time out from a busy day in space to play a 15-minute set of flute music on the space shuttle Discovery’s aft flight deck

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1993

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0214

    Steam Soda Works, SSW

    Date: 1871

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2666

    Ralston

    Date: 1895

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 065

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House [sic]," c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at the fort. The man and woman shown in the photograph (standing with a dog) are likely Charles H. Davis and his second wife Delia (Overton) Davis. Charles Davis was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park. See also 96-07-08-alb02-057.

    Date: 1905

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0868

    Too Utterly Too

    Date: 1882

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1764

    Duplex Rope

    Date: 1889

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 018

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House [sic]," c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park. See also 96-07-08-alb03-065.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 126

    Caption: "Main [sic] Memorial, ial [sic -- cut off in original photograph] Monument and National Hotel. Havana. July 4, 34." Designed by McKim, Mead and White, the Hotel Nacional in Havana opened in 1930. In the foreground is the Monument to the Victims of the USS Maine, two columns topped by an eagle with outstretched wings, built in 1925 to memorialize the American sailors who died in an explosion on the USS Maine in 1898. The eagle and other features of the monument were removed in 1961 as symbols of imperialism.

    Date: 7/4/1934

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 279

    Caption: "Glacier Point - Over Hanging Rock - Yosemite Falls In The Distance," c. 1935. A group of unidentified people looking out from Glacier Point. Both Upper and Lower Yosemite Fall are visible across the valley at the right side of the photograph. Glacier Point, on the south wall of the valley 3,200 feet above what is now known as Half Dome Village, provides panoramic views of the valley and many of its features. By the time this photograph was taken, safety railings had been installed at the Point to prevent visitors from tumbling over the cliff while trying to get the best views.

    Date: 1935