Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5181 to 5190 of 5968

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 063

    Caption: "Fort Worden, Wash." Washington, c. 1908.Construction of Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound began in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire", three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 151

    No Caption: c. 1898. View of Tillamook Rock Lighthouse and the small basalt rock upon which it sits, over one mile into the ocean from Tillamook Head. Built between 1880-1881, the treacherous ocean currents and often inclement weather associated with the area earned the lighthouse its nickname "Terrible Tillie" or "Tillie." This photograph was taken before the roof of the lighthouse was raised by five feet in 1898, to help prevent damage to the roof and the interior by crashing waves. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1957.

    Date: 1898

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 239

    Caption: "Fort Worden, Wash.," c. 1909. Panoramic view of Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound. Construction began on the fort in 1898. By 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 218

    Caption: "CHICAGO BOYS LANDING AT FORT ROSECRANS." View of US Navy sailors coming ashore at Fort Rosecrans. The flagship of the US fleet in the Pacific at the time, the USS Chicago was called to the fort after a boiler explosion on the USS Bennington killed sixty-six and wounded dozens more. A board of inquiry into the cause of the explosion was convened on board the Chicago. The board found that no error on the part of the Bennington's crew contributed to the explosion.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 127

    No Caption: View of the Forestry Building at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Grace McCarthy is seated on a bench in front of the building, in a light-colored dress and hat. Made out of unpeeled logs, the Forestry Building was demolished in the 1930s. Held in Seattle to celebrate the development of the Pacific Northwest, the fair attracted 3.7 million visitors over the course of its run from June to October 1909. Although most of the fair's buildings have since been destroyed, several of them now serve as part of the University of Washington campus.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 006

    Caption: "Ocean Beach, San Francisco," c. 1925. Panorama of Ocean Beach, showing crowds not only at the beach but also at San Francisco's Playland, a series of seaside attractions and rides including a carousel, Fun House, and the Big Dipper rollercoaster. Entrepreneurs began erecting concessions and "thrill" rides at the location in the late nineteenth century. By 1913 the area was known as Chutes at the Beach. In 1923, brothers George and Leo Whitney began to purchase the attractions, eventually coming to own the entirety of what became known as Playland. The amusement park was torn down in 1972.

    Date: 1925

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 158

    Caption: "Grants Tomb. N.Y." The remains of Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the U.S. and Commanding General of the Union Army during the last year of the Civil War, were laid to rest in this elaborate tomb, designed by architect John Duncan. Grant died in 1885, but construction on the granite and marble structure did not begin until 1891. Grant's remains were transferred to the tomb on April 27, 1897. The tomb is the largest mausoleum in North America. See also 96-07-08-alb11-209.

    Date: 8/10/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 266

    Caption: "The Arrival of the Atlantic Fleet at the Golden Gate -- May 6, 1908. San Francisco, California." and "Copyright 1908, Chas. Weidner, S.F." This photograph, by Charles Weidner, shows the U.S. Navy's Atlantic Fleet, consisting of sixteen battle cruisers and various support vessels, steaming toward the Golden Gate and San Francisco Bay. President Theodore Roosevelt ordered the Atlantic Fleet (later called the "Great White Fleet" because the ships were painted white with gold trim) on a tour around the world, beginning in December 1907, to show American goodwill and also demonstrate the power of the U.S. Navy. The Fleet reached the Golden Gate, entrance to San Francisco Bay, on May 6, 1908.

    Date: 5/6/1908

  • McCarthy Album 02, Photograph 065

    No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb08-139 with caption: "Fort Stevens, Or," c. 1910. A view of buildings at Fort Stevens, part of the Three Fort Harbor Defense System protecting the mouth of the Columbia River from enemy incursion or attack (the other forts being Fort Columbia and Fort Canby, both in Washington). Built during the Civil War, the fort remained active until after World War II. In June 1942, Fort Stevens gained the dubious distinction of being the only military installation in the continental United States to come under enemy fire when a Japanese submarine surfaced off the coast and fired seventeen missiles at the fort. The missiles destroyed the backstop to the fort's baseball field, but otherwise did little harm. Fort Stevens was decommissioned in 1947. It was later turned over to the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, and currently is the site of an Oregon State Park.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 102

    Caption: "Jackson Park - Chicago," c. 1923. The Grand Basin at Jackson Park. This 500-acre park was originally designed for use as the site of the World's Columbian Exposition (also called the Chicago World's Fair), held in 1893. The Grand Basin was a large reflecting pool at the center of the Exposition, around which the main buildings were constructed.

    Date: 1923