Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5827
- Spanish 62
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1544
- Text 447
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5241 to 5250 of 5968
-
Caption: "Santa Fe Depot, Los Angeles," c. 1910. The La Grande Station opened in 1893 and served as the main passenger terminal for the Atchinson, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (Santa Fe). The building, with its Moorish inspired architecture, was heavily damaged by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake and was eventually demolished in 1946.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Robert E, Lee Statue - New Orleans," c. 1925. The Robert E. Lee Memorial in New Orleans was dedicated in 1884. Architect John Ray designed the base and pedestal, while sculptor Alexander Doyle was responsible for the statue itself. The monument commemorated the memory of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, until its removal in 2017.
Date: 1925
-
Caption: "Field Piece in Action." Unidentified location, c. 1905-1915. Shows a crew of men operating a 3" field gun, a heavy artillery gun set onto a carriage for mobile use. The U.S. military used these guns between 1905 and 1919, gradually phasing them out of use during the 1920s in favor of more modern weapons.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: Art Museum - St. Louis," c. 1923. The Saint Louis Art Museum features elements of the Greek Revival style. It began life as the Palace of Fine Arts for the World's Fair held in St. Louis in 1904. The museum moved into the building after the fair's completion.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Vancouver Hotel, Vancouver, B.C.," c. 1908-1912. View of the Hotel Vancouver, designed by architect T.C. Sorly for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). This photograph shows the first building on the site, which opened in 1888. By 1916, the area had grown so much that the CPR razed this building and constructed a new, larger, more modern facility.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "O.W.R. & N. R.R. Depot -- Seattle.," c. 1915. Station building for the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Company, formed in 1910 from the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company as a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad. Designed by architect Daniel J. Patterson, the Beaux Arts-style station opened in 1911.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Ocean Beach, San Francisco," c. 1925. Panorama of Ocean Beach, showing crowds not only at the beach but also at San Francisco's Playland, a series of seaside attractions and rides including a carousel, Fun House, and the Big Dipper rollercoaster. Entrepreneurs began erecting concessions and "thrill" rides at the location in the late nineteenth century. By 1913 the area was known as Chutes at the Beach. In 1923, brothers George and Leo Whitney began to purchase the attractions, eventually coming to own the entirety of what became known as Playland. The amusement park was torn down in 1972.
Date: 1925
-
Caption: " Cliff House #3." View of people on Ocean Beach and walking up the road to the (fourth) Cliff House in the distance, San Francisco, c. 1910. The original Cliff House was built in 1858. The second was built in 1863 and was destroyed by fire on Christmas day in 1894. The third Victorian- style Cliff House was completed in 1896, and although it survived the 1906 earthquake and fires, it burned to the ground in 1907. A fourth Cliff House (pictured) was then built with steel-reinforced concrete and opened in 1909.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Conservatory, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, May 14, 1934." View of one wing of the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park. A planting bed in front of the wing has been planted with flowers in such a way as to portray the California flag and the letters "California Diamond Jubilee, 1850-1925." The date on this photograph may not be accurate, given the dates included in the flower bed. The Conservatory of Flowers is the oldest building in Golden Gate Park, dating to 1879. The Victorian-style building has housed rare and exotic plants since its completion.
Date: 5/14/1934