Search All Items
- Filters:
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1866
- Text 426
- Text 51
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
- Language
- English 6200
- Spanish 19
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
Search Results 5461 to 5470 of 6290
-
Caption: "Fort Worden. Mid Winter." Construction of Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound began in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire", three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.
Date: 1909
-
Caption: "Fort Marion, St. Augustine, Florida. July 10, 1934." Walkway atop what appears to be the ramparts of the Castillo de San Marcos (Castle of Saint Mark). The core structures of this coastal defense fort were completed by Spanish forces in 1695. Numerous additions, renovations, and repairs have occurred since that time. When Spain ceded Florida to the U.S. in 1821, the Castillo was designated a U.S. Army base and renamed Fort Marion, in honor of Frances Marion (also known as the Swamp Fox, Marion was an American Revolutionary War hero known for his guerilla war tactics). The fort was deactivated in 1933, and turned over to the National Park Service.
Date: 7/10/1934
-
Caption: "Hialeah Race Track -- Miami -- Florida July 1, 1934." View of the infield at Hialeah Park Race Track. Constructed in 1922 as a greyhound racetrack, Hialeah began hosting horse races in 1925. Joseph E. Widener purchased the track in 1930. He embarked upon a series of improvements, adding a grandstand (seen here) and clubhouse facilities designed by Lester W. Geisler, as well as landscaped gardens and a lake in the infield that became home to a flock of flamingos. The new and improved Hialeah track, now called Hialeah Park, officially opened in 1932.
Date: 7/1/1934
-
Caption: "Mormon Temple, Salt Lake City -- Utah.," c. 1916. View of the temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Truman O. Angell, architect) in Salt Lake City, Utah, dedicated in 1893. The Brigham Young Monument (also known as the Pioneer Monument) stands at the left. Designed by Cyrus Edwin Dallin, this statue commemorating one of the founders of the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints was first displayed at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, and moved to its post at Main and South Temple Streets in Salt Lake City in 1897.
Date: 1916
-
Caption: "Hialeah Race Track -- Miami -- Florida July 1, 1934." View of the grandstand at Hialeah Park Race Track. Constructed in 1922 as a greyhound racetrack, Hialeah began hosting horse races in 1925. Joseph E. Widener purchased the track in 1930. He embarked upon a series of improvements, adding a grandstand (seen here) and clubhouse facilities designed by Lester W. Geisler, as well as landscaped gardens and a lake in the infield that became home to a flock of flamingos. The new and improved Hialeah track, now called Hialeah Park, officially opened in 1932.
Date: 7/1/1934
-
Caption: "Court House - Los Angeles." c. 1915-1920. The Los Angeles County Courthouse, also known as the Red Sandstone Courthouse, was completed in 1891. Located at the southeast corner of Temple and Broadway, the courthouse was damaged beyond repair by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake and demolished in 1936. To the left of the courthouse stands the Hall of Records, built in 1911 and used, along with other buildings, as the county courthouse from 1934 until 1959, when the current courthouse was occupied. The Hall of Records was demolished in 1973. See also 96-07-08-alb01-147.
Date: 1915