Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5827
- Spanish 62
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1544
- Text 447
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5491 to 5500 of 5968
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of Lot- Mission-San Gabriel boundaries. Volume 2, page 189.
Date: 1843
-
Caption: "Palace of Fine Arts or National Theater [sic] - built of white marble. Work started in 1900, complete in 1935, cost 35,000,000 pesos." The Palacio de Bellas Artes, is considered the cultural center of Mexico City. It houses the Museum of Architecture, and the National Theater, a performance space for music, dance, and theatre. Murals by renown Mexican artists such as Diego Rivera, Rufino Tamayo, Jose Clemente Orozco, and others are exhibited on the top floor and other galleries throughout the building.
Date: 1938
-
Caption: "Santa Rosa Court House.," c. 1914. Built in 1910, this building replaced the original Sonoma County courthouse that was destroyed by the great earthquake and fire that ravaged the San Francisco Bay Area in 1906. This second courthouse served the county for more than fifty years before being declared seismically unsafe in the 1960s. It was subsequently torn down, but the area still retains the name "Old Courthouse Square."
Date: 1914
-
Caption: "USS Connecticut, Admiral Evans," c. 1908. View of the USS Connecticut, with an inset circular photograph of Admiral Evans. The USS Connecticut was commissioned on September 29, 1906 as the most advanced ship in the U.S. Navy. Because the provisions of the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 stipulated that older battleships would be disposed of, the Connecticut was decommissioned and sold for scrap in 1923.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Gate," c. 1905, Benicia, California. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops, from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1905