Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5827
- Spanish 62
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1544
- Text 447
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5501 to 5510 of 5968
-
Caption: "Mammoth Hot Springs Resort," c. 1923. Grace McCarthy poses in front of Mammoth Hot Springs Resort. Originally called the National Hotel, the building opened for business in 1883. It underwent significant alterations and renovations between 1911 and 1913, by which time the resort was known as the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. The hotel was torn down in 1936 in favor of a more modern facility.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Sutter [sic] Fort. Sacramento.," c. 1920. Image of the main building of Sutter's Fort. John Sutter established the fort in 1839, calling it New Helvetia. After the discovery of gold at one of Sutter's mills (at Coloma, on the American River), almost all of the fort's inhabitants left for the gold fields in the foothills. The fort deteriorated until being restored from 1891-1893. The fort is now the site of a State Historic Park. See also 96-07-08-alb05-117.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Avenue," c. 1905, Benicia, California. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops, from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1905