Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5811
- Spanish 37
- ENGLISH 2
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3877
- Still Image 1473
- Text 439
- Text 54
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5501 to 5510 of 5921
-
Caption: "Jefferson Davis Highway. U.S. No. 1. Virginia. July 20, 34." Grace McCarthy is standing next to a U.S. Route 1 sign along a highway in Virginia. The Jefferson Davis Highway project was begun by the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). As auto tourism increased across the U.S., so to did the need for roads on which to drive. Private interests such as the UDC began to develop routes across the country, but with no central administrating organization the routes were haphazard and confusing. The UDC planned a route that was to stretch from Virginia across the southern U.S. to San Diego, but the entire route never materialized. The federal government stepped in to impose a numbering system on various routes across the nation. That portion of the planned Jefferson Davis Highway through Virginia was numbered as U.S. Route 1.
Date: 7/20/1934
-
Caption: "Weinstock Lubin Store. K. Street Sacramento.," c. 1906. Street scene along Sacramento's K Street, with the Weinstock Lubin flagship store prominently featured at the right side of the photograph. Weinstock's opened as Lubin's at 4th and K Street in 1874, growing over the years into a downtown landmark. The company opened stores throughout California, as well as Nevada and Utah. The building pictured here replaced the original store, which burned to the ground in 1903. The site is now occupied by Macy's.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Old State Capitol-Benicia," c. 1918, shows the Benicia State Capitol building, built in 1852, the third location of the state capital from February 1853 to February 1854, before it was moved permanently to Sacramento. The historic building was listed as a California State Historic Landmark in 1935, and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Today the site is known as the Benicia Capitol State Historic Park.
Date: 1918
-
Caption: "Government Building. Chicago Fair. Sept. 18, 1934." View of the Federal Building at Chicago's Century of Progress Exposition, as seen from across the harbor. The three tall towers represent the three branches of the federal government. This building, towering over the Exposition, was featured on a commemorative US Postage Stamp issued in honor of the Exposition. A world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, the Expo celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms."
Date: 9/18/1934
-
No Caption: A section from an informational tourist brochure describing the Cathedral and Chapultepec Castle and Park in Mexico City.
Date: 1938
-
No caption, c. 1917. Group of men posing on 6" Howitzers at Camp Kearney. William McCarthy is standing in a dark suit just beneath the barrel of the middle gun. Camp Kearney was established by the U.S. Army in 1917 just north of San Diego. The post was largely abandoned by the government in 1920, used as a military and civilian airfield. It did not see increased military service again until the 1930s.
Date: 1917
-
Caption: "Joy Ride -- Skaggs Springs," c. 1914. William (standing in front to the right) and Grace (third from the left in the wagon) McCarthy and a group of unidentified people all holding bunches of grapes, either getting ready for or coming back from a ride in a horse-drawn wagon. Skaggs Springs was a resort area along the Russian River in Sonoma County, known for its hot springs. The area now lies beneath the waters of Lake Sonoma, flooded after construction of the Warm Springs Dam, completed in 1982.
Date: 1914