Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5827
- Spanish 62
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1544
- Text 447
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5541 to 5550 of 5968
-
Caption: "Presidio S.F." See also 96-07-08-alb02-021. Entrance to the main post of the Presidio, San Francisco, c. 1910. Established in 1776 by Spanish explorers, the Presidio is a fortified location overlooking the Golden Gate, the entrance into San Francisco Bay. It was closed as a military structure in 1995, and is now a park within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Date: 1910
-
No caption. William McCarthy stands in front of the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park, c. 1935. Opened in 1927 and designed by architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood, the Ahwahnee Hotel is located on the floor of Yosemite Valley. It was built as a resort hotel by the Yosemite Park and Curry Company. Modernized over the years, its name was changed to the Majestic Yosemite Hotel in 2016, as a result of legal dispute over trademarked names in the park.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Eagle River D. & R. G. R. R," c. 1923. Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad tracks run next to the Eagle River at the bottom of a canyon in this photograph. A wall of timber shores up part of one side of the canyon wall in the distance. The Denver and Rio Grande (D&RG) primarily operated railroad lines between Denver, Colorado and Salt Lake City, Utah, with other lines stretching into New Mexico.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Pasadena," c. 1915, shows the Hotel Green, built by George Gill Green in 1893, and expanded by him in 1898 and 1903 with two additional structures. The hotel complex was sold to private investors and by 1924, the 1898 Central Annex structure (Frederick L. Roehrig, architect) was turned into apartments and renamed the Castle Green. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the California Register of Historic Places, and the City of Pasadena's list of historic places.
Date: 1915
-
No Caption: View of Point Loma Light. First lit in 1891, this light replaced the "Old Point Loma Lighthouse" that had been constructed in 1855 (see 96-07-08-alb08-225). The old lighthouse was often obscured by fog, so a new lighthouse was built at a lower elevation much closer to sea level, as can be seen in this photograph. The light was automated in 1973. See also 96-07-08-alb05-232.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Portland Fair Exhibits," Portland, Oregon, 1905. The Lewis and Clark Exposition was held in Portland, Oregon, from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Burnt Arlington Dock, Seattle." This photograph shows the result of a fire at Seattle's Arlington Dock on May 7, 1906. Heavy fire damage can be seen on the building pictured. Its roof and the central portion of the façade collapsed, and burn marks appear at all windows. Thousands of dollars' worth of supplies were destroyed in the fire. At the time, Arlington Dock was the primary shipping facility for the city.
Date: 1906