Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5811
- Spanish 37
- ENGLISH 2
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3877
- Still Image 1473
- Text 439
- Text 54
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5551 to 5560 of 5921
-
Caption: "Sentinel Hotel," c. 1917. The Sentinel Hotel at Yosemite Village. Construction of this hotel began in 1876, and at the turn of the century it was the only hotel operating in the valley. Increased attendance as the twentieth century progressed resulted in the construction of other tourist areas such as Curry Village, and the Sentinel gradually became obsolete. The Sentinel and the complex of buildings that had grown up around it were torn down in the late 1930s.
Date: 1917
-
Caption: "Chicago Fair Grounds. View from Sky Ride Tower, Sept. 15, 34." Bird's eye view of the fair grounds where Chicago held its Century of Progress Exposition, a world fair celebrating the city's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. This photograph was taken from one of the two Sky Ride Towers, 628-foot structures that carried an aerial tram or gondola over the harbor in the center of the fair grounds. Over 4.5 million passengers enjoyed the views from the Sky Ride before it was demolished after the conclusion of the exposition in 1934.
Date: 9/15/1934
-
Caption: "Officers Quarters -- Fort Winfield Scott," c. 1912. Shows a row of multi-story homes along a landscaped street. Fort Winfield Scott was a coastal artillery post at the San Francisco Presidio. Originally named Fort Point, it was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, until 1886 when the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.
Date: 1912
-
Caption: "Frank Bucks [sic] Monkey Land. Chicago Fair. Sept. 20, 1934." View of a rocky cliff populated by a species of monkey. This was part of a display at Frank Buck's Jungle Camp, an exhibition at Chicago's Century of Progress Exposition. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms."
Date: 9/20/1934
-
Caption: "Eagle River D. & R. G. R. R," c. 1923. Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad tracks run next to the Eagle River at the bottom of a canyon in this photograph. A wall of timber shores up part of one side of the canyon wall in the distance. The Denver and Rio Grande (D&RG) primarily operated railroad lines between Denver, Colorado and Salt Lake City, Utah, with other lines stretching into New Mexico.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Fillmore St," c. 1908. A view of San Francisco's Fillmore Street at night, which has been decorated with garlands of electric lights along the length of the street.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "Windows of Employees Dining Room - Pacific Colony." Pacific State Hospital. Design and drawing by Alfred Eichler. Built. Project for Department of Mental Hygiene - Hospitals. The hospital was initially named Pacific Colony (1927-1953), followed by Pacific State Hospital (1953-1979); Frank D. Lanterman State Hospital and Developmental Center; and finally Lanterman Developmental Center, which closed in 2015.
Date: 1934
-
Caption: "Main Entrance Detail - Exposed Concrete - Plywood Forms - Jointed as Shown on Detail - Wood Reverse Molds - Fin. Surface Rubbed with Carborundum Blocks & Washed." Design and drawing of Acute Disturbed Ward, Stockton State Hospital, by Alfred Eichler. Built. Project for Department of Mental Hygiene - Hospitals.
Date: 1937