Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5561 to 5570 of 5968

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 002

    Caption: "Steamer PRINCESS VICTORIA at Vancouver [sic] dock, B.C.," c. 1908-1912. The Princess Victoria was constructed in 1902 by England's C.S. Swan and Hunter Company shipyards. The luxury passenger ship was operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company on routes between Victoria and Vancouver, British Columbia and Seattle in Washington until she was sold in 1951 to an oil carrier. Shortly thereafter, in 1953, she struck a rock and sank.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 185

    Caption: "The Beautiful C.P.R.R. Banff Springs Hotel, Banff, CA.," c. 1935. Built by the Canadian Pacific Railway at the instigation of its president, William Cornelius Van Horne, the luxury Banff Springs Hotel originally opened in 1888 to welcome visitors travelling on the railway. The hotel was renovated and expanded through the years and today is a National Historic Site of Canada, located in Banff National Park, Canada's first National Park.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 206

    Caption: "Call Building," c. 1906. The remains of the Call building after the 1906 earthquake and fire. Completed in 1898 and designed by civic leader Claus Spreckels, the Call building on the corner of 3rd and Market streets was one of the first skyscrapers in San Francisco, built to house the San Francisco Call newspaper offices. While the structure withstood the 1906 earthquake, the interior caught fire and sustained considerable damage. After major renovations, the building is today known as The Central Tower.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 260

    Caption: "Fairmount [sic] Hotel - S.F.," C. 1906. View of the Fairmont Hotel, a luxury hotel in San Francisco. Although construction was mostly finished in 1906, the advent of the San Francisco earthquake and fire of that year damaged the hotel's interior and delayed opening until 1907. It was the first hotel in what is now the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain. In 1945, the San Francisco hotel was host to an international conference that culminated in the formation of the United Nations.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 131

    Caption: "Sloppy Joes Bar, Havana July 4, 1934." William and Grace McCarthy (at the far right) having drinks with three unidentified men in Sloppy Joe's Bar, a drinking establishment owned by Jose Garcia. American tourists flocked to the bar in the 1930s and 1940s, as it attracted illustrious visitors such as John Wayne and Clark Gable. The bar was closed in 1959 after the Cuban revolution.

    Date: 7/4/1934

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 112

    Caption: "San Diego Exposition," c. 1915-1916. Grace McCarthy and unidentified people in automobile at the Panama-California Exposition in San Diego. The Panama-California Exposition was held in San Diego in 1915 and 1916 to celebrate the opening of the Panama Canal. It was smaller in scale and less well-funded than the Panama-Pacific International Exposition held in 1915 in San Francisco. See also 96-07-08-alb05-071.

    Date: 1915

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2499

    National Lager, National Brewing Co. San Francisco, California

    Date: 1894

  • "Excerpt from Information Digest No. 520"

    Excerpt from article entitled "Aliens and Citizens of Japanese Ancestry" regarding leave from relocation centers; referenced in Unmarked Correspondence (F3729_65_007a)

    Date: July 31, 1942

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 332

    Caption: "Golden Gate Bridge, Pedestrian Day. May 27, 1937." View of crowds walking across the just-completed Golden Gate Bridge as part of Pedestrian Day. Pedestrian Day kicked off the Golden Gate Bridge Fiesta celebrating the opening of the now-iconic bridge. Approximately 200,000 people walked or roller-skated across the bridge during the Pedestrian Day festivities, held the day before the bridge opened to vehicular traffic.

    Date: 5/27/1937

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 156

    Caption: "Bonaventure Cemetery Driveway, Savannah, Georgia, July 14, 1934." Road stretching into the distance, flanked by trees dripping with Spanish moss. The Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah originated in a private cemetery on a plantation. The plantation was sold in 1846. Major William H. Wiltberger, son of the new owner, formed the Evergreen Cemetery Company in 1868. The City of Savannah purchased the company and cemetery in 1907, and changed its name to Bonaventure Cemetery.

    Date: 7/14/1934