Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5827
- Spanish 62
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1544
- Text 447
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5571 to 5580 of 5968
-
Caption: "Portland Fair," Portland, Oregon, 1905. The Lewis and Clark Exposition was held in Portland, Oregon, from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries.
Date: 1905
-
No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb08-158 with caption: "Government Building and Bridge of Nations, Portland Fair," Portland, Oregon, 1905. Shows the Government Building, Guild's Lake, and the Bridge of Nations, a long pedestrian bridge over the lake. Some of the more than 100,000 light bulbs used to outline the exposition's buildings can be seen along the arches and decorative molding of the bridge. The Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition was held in Portland, Oregon from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "St. Louis Cathedral Built in 1794 by Don Andreas Almonastry Roxas - Jacksen[sic] Park - New Orleans." St. Louis Cathedral anchors one end of Jackson Square in New Orleans' French Quarter. The structure of the cathedral largely dates to the 1850 restoration and expansion of an older cathedral built on the site in 1793. Very little of the older church survived, although the central bell tower (added on to the older church in 1819) was reused in the new structure and is still extant today. A statue of Andrew Jackson mounted on a rearing horse (Clark Mills, sculptor) stands in the square in front of the cathedral. The sculpture was erected in 1856. See also 96-07-08-alb11-052.
Date: 6/15/1934
-
Caption: "Government Building & Bridge of Nations, Portland Fair." Shows the Government Building, Guild's Lake, and the Bridge of Nations, a long pedestrian bridge over the lake. Some of the more than 100,000 light bulbs used to outline the exposition's buildings can be seen along the arches and decorative molding of the bridge. The Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition was held in Portland, Oregon from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries. See also 96-07-08-alb05-206.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Yellowstone Transportation Bus," c. 1923. William and Grace McCarthy (second row from the back, middle and right-hand seats) and a group of unidentified people stop for a photograph while sitting in an eleven-passenger, open-roofed touring bus in Yellowstone National Park. The touring bus, likely made by White Motor Company, was one of a fleet of such vehicles maintained by the Yellowstone Park Transportation Company.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Skaggs Springs," c. 1914. William and Grace McCarthy (fourth and fifth from the left) standing on a log with a group of unidentified friends and family in the Skaggs Springs area of Sonoma County. Skaggs Springs was a resort area along the Russian River, known for its hot springs. The area now lies beneath the waters of Lake Sonoma, flooded after construction of the Warm Springs Dam, completed in 1982.
Date: 1914
-
Caption: "Mammoth Springs Resort. - Yellowstone," c. 1923. William and Grace McCarthy pose in front of the Mammoth Springs Resort with three unidentified people. Originally called the National Hotel, the building opened for business in 1883. It underwent significant alterations and renovations between 1911 and 1913, by which time the resort was known as the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. The hotel was torn down in 1936 in favor of a more modern facility.
Date: 1923