Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5827
- Spanish 62
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1544
- Text 447
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5581 to 5590 of 5968
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Office," c. 1915. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Totem Pole, Seattle." Seattle, Washington, c. 1905. View of the Tlingit totem pole in Seattle's Pioneer Square. The totem pole was stolen in 1899 by a group of businessmen, and erected in the square, then known as Pioneer Place. An arsonist destroyed this pole in 1938, but it was later replaced by another carved by the Tlingit tribe (who were also finally paid for the original pole).
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "S.P. Hospital, S.F.," c. 1910. Constructed in 1908 and designed by architect Daniel J. Patterson, the hospital treated Southern Pacific Railroad workers from across the American West, as well as passengers injured while riding. As the twentieth century progressed and automobiles supplanted trains as the premier method of transportation for people and goods, the hospital entered a period of decline, closing in 1974. It has since been renovated and now serves as a senior housing complex.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Tybee Beach, Savannah, Georgia, July 14, 1934." Beach scene with a small crowd of unidentified people enjoying the ocean waves and strolling in the sand. The large Tybrisa Pavilion, set on a wood pier, extends into the water. Tybee Beach is one of several beaches in Tybee Island, a town on an island of the same name located across the river from Savannah. The island became a popular tourist spot between the Civil War and the mid-twentieth century, particularly after the Central of Georgia Railway constructed a line to the island. To encourage tourists, the railroad built Tybrisa Pavilion in 1891. It featured a large dance floor that became popular on the Big Band circuit, but was destroyed by fire in 1967.
Date: 7/14/1934
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of Huasna or Ex-Mission of San Luis Obispo boundaries. Volume 2, page 15.
Date: 1843
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of Corral de Piedra boundaries. Volume 1, page 640.
Date: 1839