Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5827
- Spanish 62
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1544
- Text 447
- Text 22
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5631 to 5640 of 5968
-
Caption: "Williams Canion [sic] - Cave of the Winds," c. 1923. View of a rugged canyon with a small building perched on one wall featuring a sign reading "CAVE." In 1880, two brothers, George and John Pickett, discovered the entrance to a large cave system in Williams Canyon. Further exploration resulted in opening more caverns within the system. The site became a tourist attraction called "Cave of the Winds," with guided tours having been on offer since 1881.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Museum -- Golden Gate Park," c. 1922. The Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park, designed by Louis Christian Mulgardt in the Spanish-Plateresque style, was built in 1919. Michael H. de Young, co-founder of the San Francisco Chronicle, added the central tower in 1921. The museum's name was later changed to honor de Young, becoming the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum (now commonly known as the de Young Museum). This building has since been replaced with a more modern facility.
Date: 1922
-
This item has no description.
Date: 1975
-
Caption: "U. S. 12" Mortars." View of three 12-inch mortars in firing position behind an earth and concrete embankment. Caps cover the barrel openings.
Date: Undated