Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5631 to 5640 of 5921

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 193

    Caption: "Hotel Vendome," c. 1910, was a luxury hotel in San Jose that opened in 1889. It was purchased by a real estate syndicate in 1930 and subsequently demolished in order to subdivide the property into lots for residential housing. See also 96-07-08-alb03-100 and 96-07-08-alb05-115.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 313

    No Caption: c. 1915, William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 155

    Caption: "Santa Fe Depot, Los Angeles," c. 1910. The La Grande Station opened in 1893 and served as the main passenger terminal for the Atchinson, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (Santa Fe). The building, with its Moorish inspired architecture, was heavily damaged by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake and was eventually demolished in 1946.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 253

    Caption: "Fort Baker, California," c. 1910. Fort Baker was constructed between 1901 and 1910 to provide permanent housing for the new seacoast fortifications that were built between 1897 and 1905. The men stationed at Fort Baker were members of the Coast Artillery Corps, officially created in 1907 by the U.S. Army to protect and defend the nation's harbors.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 159

    Caption: "France," shows the French Pavilion at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. The French Pavilion, an homage to the Palais de Legion d'Honneur in Paris, provided the inspiration for the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco. See also 96-07-08-alb01-135.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 214

    Caption: "Robert E, Lee Statue - New Orleans," c. 1925. The Robert E. Lee Memorial in New Orleans was dedicated in 1884. Architect John Ray designed the base and pedestal, while sculptor Alexander Doyle was responsible for the statue itself. The monument commemorated the memory of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, until its removal in 2017.

    Date: 1925

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 227

    Caption: "Field Piece in Action." Unidentified location, c. 1905-1915. Shows a crew of men operating a 3" field gun, a heavy artillery gun set onto a carriage for mobile use. The U.S. military used these guns between 1905 and 1919, gradually phasing them out of use during the 1920s in favor of more modern weapons.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 084

    Caption: Art Museum - St. Louis," c. 1923. The Saint Louis Art Museum features elements of the Greek Revival style. It began life as the Palace of Fine Arts for the World's Fair held in St. Louis in 1904. The museum moved into the building after the fair's completion.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 235

    Caption: "O.W.R. & N. R.R. Depot -- Seattle.," c. 1915. Station building for the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Company, formed in 1910 from the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company as a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad. Designed by architect Daniel J. Patterson, the Beaux Arts-style station opened in 1911.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 327

    Image withheld due to copyright considerations. For more information, please contact the California State Archives Reference Desk at ArchivesWeb@sos.ca.gov or (916) 653-2246. Caption: "The Passing of the Ferry Boat -- San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, Nov. 12, 1936." Shows the western, suspension span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, with three ferries passing underneath it.

    Date: 11/12/1936