Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5711 to 5720 of 5921

  • Census of 1852, Placer County

    Image of Census of 1852, page 5 from Placer County Schedule II Volume I.

    Date: 1852

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0909

    Charm, Favorita, Queens Favorite

    Date: 1882

  • Original Bill File, House Resolution 236, page 1

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1965

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 272

    Caption: "General Motors Building, Chicago Fair. Sept. 17, 1934." Grace McCarthy stands at a railing with the General Motors Building in the background. The building was part of the Century of Progress Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms." None of the buildings constructed for the fair are still extant today, having been built as temporary facilities.

    Date: 9/17/1934

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 271

    Caption: "Parkway and Dome of Ford Building. Chicago Fair. Sept. 17, 34." Several pedestrians wander along a parkway with a small lagoon and fountains, flanked by benches and manicured hedges. The Ford Building rises in the distance. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms." None of the buildings constructed for the fair are still extant today, having been built as temporary facilities.

    Date: 9/17/1934

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 130

    Caption: "Portion of Interior. Fort Point.," c. 1906. View of arched colonnades on ground and middle floors of Fort Point, and an upper tier with barbettes for the future installation of heavy artillery coastal defense weapons. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 091

    Caption: "Tamiami Trail Through the Florida Everglades, June 27, 1934." Asphalt-paved road stretching into the distance, flanked on one side by a canal. The Tamiami Trail constitutes a scenic portion of what is now U.S. Highway 41. Work on a road connecting Tampa with Miami began in 1915, but the Trail was not officially opened until 1928. Work on the route required building across a portion of the massive swamp system of the Everglades. Workers dredged and blasted a canal along the route, and used the fill dirt thus removed to construct the roadway proper.

    Date: 6/27/1934

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 218

    Caption: "Montauk Lighthouse, Most Northern Point on Long Island, N.Y., Aug. 18, 1934." The Montauk Lighthouse, first lit in 1797, was the first lighthouse built in New York. Ezra L'Hommedieu designed the building as well as choosing its site on the eastern edge of Long Island. A renovation in 1860 raised the lighthouse to its current height of more than 110 feet. A larger lantern was installed at that time as well. Electrified in 1940, it is now a National Historic Landmark as well as an active lighthouse.

    Date: 8/18/1934

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 126

    Caption: "Main [sic] Memorial, ial [sic -- cut off in original photograph] Monument and National Hotel. Havana. July 4, 34." Designed by McKim, Mead and White, the Hotel Nacional in Havana opened in 1930. In the foreground is the Monument to the Victims of the USS Maine, two columns topped by an eagle with outstretched wings, built in 1925 to memorialize the American sailors who died in an explosion on the USS Maine in 1898. The eagle and other features of the monument were removed in 1961 as symbols of imperialism.

    Date: 7/4/1934

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0761

    Golden State

    Date: 1881