Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5721 to 5730 of 5921

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 110

    Caption: "Fairmount Ruins." Shows the damage from the 1906 earthquake fire to the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill in San Francisco, 1906. Although construction was mostly finished in 1906, the advent of the San Francisco earthquake and fire of that year damaged the hotel's interior and delayed opening until 1907. It was the first hotel in what is now the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain. In 1945, the San Francisco hotel was host to an international conference that culminated in the formation of the United Nations.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 322

    Caption: "Golden Gate Bridge Construction, July 1, 1936." View of the Golden Gate Bridge while under construction. The towers and suspension cables have been built, but the work on the bridge deck has not started. Completed in 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge spans the mouth of San Francisco Bay (called the Golden Gate), connecting San Francisco with Marin County to the north. It is one of the most recognizable bridges in the world, and was named in 1994 as one of the Modern Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

    Date: 7/1/1936

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 012

    Caption: "Mortar Gun Practice -- Full Service, Fort Worden, Pt Townsend, Wash," c. 1910. The postcard shows several Howitzers, one of which is firing, as well as a group of men standing to the side with their hands over their ears. Construction began on Fort Worden in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 213

    Caption: "Green Hotel Pasadena," c. 1915, shows Grace McCarthy standing before the Hotel Green in Pasadena, built by George Gill Green in 1893, and expanded by him in 1898 and 1903 with two additional structures. The hotel complex was sold to private investors and by 1924, the 1898 Central Annex structure (Frederick L. Roehrig, architect) was turned into apartments and renamed the Castle Green. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the California Register of Historic Places, and the City of Pasadena's list of historic places. See also 96-07-08-alb07-212.

    Date: 1915

  • #24: Item on Continuance of Hearings

    Item in meeting minutes regarding a continuance of hearings

    Date: December 29, 1943

  • Taft vs Washington Trial Exhibits, part 2

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1913

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 176

    Caption: "City Hall Monument S.F.," c. 1917, shows a monument at City Hall in San Francisco, topped with a statue of Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom and strategic warfare, and United States Army and Marines recruitment posters on easels nearby.

    Date: 1917

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 191

    Caption: " Monte Rio." Boat landing and foot bridge at C.W. Meadows' place of business at Monte Rio, along the Russian River in Sonoma County, California, c. 1910. See also 96-07-08-alb03-008.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 034

    Caption: "U.S. Mint unhurt," c. 1906. Pictured is the U.S. Mint building in San Francisco, which opened in 1874, after the original 1854 building was outgrown, which had been established to serve the gold mines during the California Gold Rush. The building suffered little damage after the 1906 earthquake. The facility served as the San Francisco U.S. Mint until 1937, when workers moved to a larger and more modern building. In 1961, the old U.S. Mint, known as the "Granite Lady," was designated a National Historic Landmark.

    Date: 1906

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0384

    J. D. L.

    Date: 1877