Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5811
- Spanish 37
- ENGLISH 2
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3877
- Still Image 1473
- Text 439
- Text 54
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5761 to 5770 of 5921
-
Caption: "The China Clippers [sic] First Start Across the Pacific Ocean. Nov. 22, 1935." View of the China Clipper, a Martin M-130 four-engine flying boat constructed for Pan American Airways in 1935. One of the largest planes of its time, the China Clipper flew the first transpacific commercial airmail flight between San Francisco and Manila in the Philippines. The China Clipper was destroyed in a crash ten years later, in January 1945, at the Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
Date: 11/22/1935
-
Caption: "Kitchen Addition, Pacific Colony. Section thro Vestibule - Lobby & D. R. Doors. Knotty pine." Design and drawing of kitchen addition, Pacific State Hospital, by Alfred Eichler. Built. Project for Department of Mental Hygiene - Hospitals. The hospital was initially named Pacific Colony (1927-1953), followed by Pacific State Hospital (1953-1979); Frank D. Lanterman State Hospital and Developmental Center; and finally Lanterman Developmental Center, which closed in 2015.
Date: 1936
-
Caption: "S.P. Depot, Third St. S.F.," c. 1915, shows the Southern Pacific Railroad Depot on Third and Townsend Streets in San Francisco. The mission revival architectural - style depot was built as a temporary structure in 1914 to serve the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition. It remained in service for almost sixty years before it was demolished and replaced by a new station on 4th and King Streets in 1975-1976.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Office," c. 1915. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Street Car Strike," c. 1907. San Francisco's street car union workers called for a strike after their request to be paid three dollars per eight- hour work day was declined. At the start of the strike, two strikers were shot by strike breakers and many more causalities were reported. Hundreds of passengers were injured during the strike due to inexperienced operators, and twenty-five of those passengers died as a result. In total, the upheaval resulted in thirty-one causalities.
Date: 1907
-
Caption: "Vanderbilt Hotel N.Y," c. 1925. Wealthy businessman Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, Sr. had the Vanderbilt Hotel constructed on the site of a former Vanderbilt residence in New York City, just six blocks from the new Grand Central Terminal. Designed by architects Warren & Wetmore, the hotel opened in 1912. The top two stories were constructed as a private residence for Vanderbilt's family. The hotel still stands today, although it has undergone some renovations.
Date: 1925
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Entrance," c. 1915. View of the gateway to Benicia Arsenal, where William McCarthy worked (starting in 1903). Established in 1851, the Benicia Arsenal was the primary ordnance facility of the U.S. Army on the West Coast. The facility was deactivated in 1963, and closed completely the following year. The area now serves a vastly different function, providing work and retail space for artists and artisans.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "One of the Main Barracks, March Field, Calif.," c. 1935. Today known as March Air Reserve Base, March Field was one of several airfields established in April 1917, just after the United State's entry in World War 1. The airfield was named for Peyton C. March Jr., son of then Army Chief of Staff, Peyton C. March, who had been killed in an air crash just fifteen days after being commissioned.
Date: 1935
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of Descanso at San Miguel boundaries. Volume 2, page 159.
Date: 1845
-
Caption: "George Washington Bridge. New Jersey to New York. Aug 1, 1934." This suspension bridge, designed by Othmar Ammann, spans the Hudson River between Manhattan in New York City, and Fort Lee, New Jersey. Constructed between 1927 and 1931, the bridge included the longest main span in the world at the time, a record it held until construction of the Golden Gate Bridge was completed in 1937. It was originally built with only one deck, but a second deck opened in 1962. Still in active use today, it carried over 51 million vehicles in 2016.
Date: 8/1/1934