Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5811
- Spanish 37
- ENGLISH 2
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3877
- Still Image 1473
- Text 439
- Text 54
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5791 to 5800 of 5921
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Avenue," c. 1905, Benicia, California. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops, from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Coney Island. Sunday Crowd. New York. Aug. 19, 1934." Very crowded beach scene on New York's Coney Island. The construction of several resort hotels on the island in the 1870s and 1880s encouraged construction of amusement parks to provide tourist destinations. Coney Island has hosted several large amusement parks over the years, including one of the world's first roller coasters (built in 1884). Numerous smaller attractions were available as well. The island's popularity peaked in the mid-twentieth century, in the World War II era, but despite some decline is still a world-renowned recreation area.
Date: 8/19/1934
-
Caption: "California - Living Giant - Mariposa Grove," c. 1917. William and Grace McCarthy, with an unidentified friend, pose with their vehicle in the tunnel through the California Tree, a Giant Sequoia in the Mariposa Grove of Yosemite National Park. The tunnel was cut through the tree in 1895 to facilitate travel on the road into the grove, and also as a tourist attraction. It is now the only living Giant Sequoia with a tunnel cut through it (so-called "tunnel trees"), the others having all fallen.
Date: 1917
-
Caption: "Saint Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, Louisiana. June 16, 1934." St. Louis Cathedral anchors one end of Jackson Square in New Orleans' French Quarter. The structure of the cathedral largely dates to the 1850 restoration and expansion of an older cathedral built on the site in 1793. Very little of the older church survived, although the central bell tower (added on to the older church in 1819) was reused in the new structure and is still extant today. A statue of Andrew Jackson mounted on a rearing horse (Clark Mills, sculptor) stands in the square in front of the cathedral. The sculpture was erected in 1856. See also 96-07-08-alb09-231.
Date: 6/15/1934
-
Caption: "Ostrich Farm, Los Angeles," c. 1935. View of several ostriches in a corral at the Cawston Ostrich Farm in Pasadena. Opened by Edward Cawston in 1886, this was the first ostrich farm in the U.S. It became a popular tourist stop along the Pasadena and Los Angeles Electric Railway in the early twentieth century, where visitors could ride an ostrich, or be pulled by one in a light card. They could also buy merchandise made out of ostrich feathers, such as hats and boas. The farm closed in the mid-1930s.
Date: 1935
-
No Caption: c. 1898. View of Tillamook Rock Lighthouse and the small basalt rock upon which it sits, over one mile into the ocean from Tillamook Head. Built between 1880-1881, the treacherous ocean currents and often inclement weather associated with the area earned the lighthouse its nickname "Terrible Tillie" or "Tillie." This photograph was taken before the roof of the lighthouse was raised by five feet in 1898, to help prevent damage to the roof and the interior by crashing waves. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1957.
Date: 1898
-
No caption. Photograph of part of a print from the Illustrated London News, regarding placement and operation of coastal artillery defense methods. See also 96-07-08-alb08-231.
Date: 1910-09-03
-
This item has no description.
Date: undated