Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5801 to 5810 of 5921

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 173

    Caption: "Fort Casey Lighthouse.," c. 1909. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. Deactivated in 1922, the lighthouse has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 127

    No Caption: View of the Forestry Building at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Grace McCarthy is seated on a bench in front of the building, in a light-colored dress and hat. Made out of unpeeled logs, the Forestry Building was demolished in the 1930s. Held in Seattle to celebrate the development of the Pacific Northwest, the fair attracted 3.7 million visitors over the course of its run from June to October 1909. Although most of the fair's buildings have since been destroyed, several of them now serve as part of the University of Washington campus.

    Date: 1909

  • Tequepis Rancho

    Hand-drawn sketch map of Tequepis boundaries. Volume 2, page 129.

    Date: 1845

  • Paso de Bartolo, Viejo Rancho

    Hand-drawn sketch map of Paso de Bartolo, Viejo. Volume 1, page 132.

    Date: 1833

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 278

    Caption: "El Portal," c. 1917. Grace McCarthy poses with two unidentified people in front of the Hotel del Portal (or Del Portal Hotel) in El Portal, California. The resort hotel was constructed in 1908 by the Yosemite Terminal Company, a subsidiary of the Yosemite Valley Railroad Company, to provide accommodations for visitors to the park who arrived by train. The hotel burned to the ground in late October of 1917.

    Date: 1917

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 123

    No Caption: View of the Government Building, neighboring buildings, and Geyser Basin at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Held in Seattle to celebrate the development of the Pacific Northwest, the fair attracted 3.7 million visitors over the course of its run from June to October 1909. Although most of the fair's buildings have since been destroyed, several of them now serve as part of the University of Washington campus. For instance, Geyser Basin became Drumheller Fountain, now at a slightly different location.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 289

    Caption: "High School -- San Diego," c. 1910. By 1902 San Diego's schools had become overcrowded enough to warrant the construction of a new high school building. Completed in 1907 and designed by F.S. Allen, the new building was quickly nicknamed the "Grey Castle on the Hill" in reference to its castle-like parapets and towers. The Grey Castle was torn down in 1975 to make way for a facility in compliance with new earthquake safety laws.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 324

    Image withheld due to copyright considerations. For more information, please contact the California State Archives Reference Desk at ArchivesWeb@sos.ca.gov or (916) 653-2246. Double-sized panoramic postcard entitled "San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge and Golden Gate International Exposition," c. 1938. Artist's rendering of San Francisco Bay, featuring the Golden Gate Bridge, the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, and the Golden Gate International Exposition.

    Date: 1938

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2894

    ["D" in a diamond]

    Date: 1897

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0355

    "IXL"

    Date: 1876