Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5811
- Spanish 37
- ENGLISH 2
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3877
- Still Image 1473
- Text 439
- Text 54
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5821 to 5830 of 5921
-
Caption: "Cliff House Burning," 1907. People standing on Ocean Beach watching the third Cliff House burning in San Francisco, in 1907. The original Cliff House was built in 1858. The second was built in 1863 and was destroyed by fire on Christmas day in 1894. The third Victorian- style Cliff House was completed in 1896, and although it survived the 1906 earthquake and fires, it burned to the ground in 1907, as seen in this image. A fourth Cliff House was then built with steel-reinforced concrete and opened in 1909.
Date: 1907
-
Caption: "Fort Worden when the snow has come. Greetings from Port Townsend - Wash." and "Photo by P.M. Richardson, 1910." This postcard shows an overview of Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound. Construction began on the fort in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.
Date: 1910
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of San Francisco de las Llagas boundaries. Volume 1, page 42.
Date: 1833
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of Rancho Del San Juan or San Juan boundaries. Volume 2, page 100.
Date: 1844
-
Caption: "OSTRICH FARM, Pasadena, California.," c. 1905. View of several ostriches in a corral at the Caswston Ostrich Farm in Pasadena. Opened by Edward Cawston in 1886, this was the first ostrich farm in the U.S. It became a popular tourist stop along the Pasadena and Los Angeles Electric Railway in the early twentieth century, where visitors could ride an ostrich, or be pulled by one in a light card. They could also buy merchandise made out of ostrich feathers, such as hats and boas. The farm closed in the mid-1930s.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Causeway Crossing Lake Pontchartrain -- New Orleans -- June 19, 34." The concrete deck of the Maestri Bridge (also called the Pontchartrain Bridge, the Five Mile Bridge, or the Watson-Williams Pontchartrain Bridge) stretches into the distance over Lake Pontchartrain in this photograph. Built in 1928 as the first permanent crossing of Lake Pontchartrain, it was also the longest concrete bridge in the world at the time of its construction. The bridge, almost five miles long, spans the lake between New Orleans and Slidell, Louisiana.
Date: 6/17/1934
-
Caption: "Cliff S.F." The Cliff House and Ocean Beach in San Francisco shows people on the beach and walking up the road to the Cliff House, c. 1910. The photograph shows the third Cliff House built on this site, which opened in 1909, and was built with steel-reinforced concrete. The original Cliff House was built in 1863 and was destroyed by fire on Christmas day in 1894. The second, Victorian- style Cliff House was completed in 1896, and although it survived the 1906 earthquake and fires, it burned to the ground in 1907 (see 96-07-08-alb06-280).
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Cliff House." People standing on Ocean Beach watching the third Cliff House burning in San Francisco, in 1907. The original Cliff House was built in 1858. The second was built in 1863 and was destroyed by fire on Christmas day in 1894. The third Victorian- style Cliff House was completed in 1896, and although it survived the 1906 earthquake and fires, it burned to the ground in 1907, as seen in this image. A fourth Cliff House was then built with steel-reinforced concrete and opened in 1909.
Date: 1907
-
Caption: "Mormon Temple, Salt Lake City -- Utah.," c. 1916. View of the temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Truman O. Angell, architect) in Salt Lake City, Utah, dedicated in 1893. The Brigham Young Monument (also known as the Pioneer Monument) stands at the left. Designed by Cyrus Edwin Dallin, this statue commemorating one of the founders of the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints was first displayed at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, and moved to its post at Main and South Temple Streets in Salt Lake City in 1897.
Date: 1916
-
Caption: "Don Gasper [sic] de Portola and Queen," 1909. Participants at the Portola Festival on horseback and dressed in period costume as Don Gaspar De Portola and Queen. The Portola Festival was a grand celebration devised to commemorate the discovery of San Francisco Bay by Gaspar De Portola, and for the public to celebrate the future of the rebuilt city after the 1906 earthquake and fires.
Date: 1909