Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 5811
- Spanish 37
- ENGLISH 2
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Image 3877
- Still Image 1473
- Text 439
- Text 54
- Textual 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 5831 to 5840 of 5921
-
Caption: "Echo Park [sic] Los Angeles," c. 1906. Unidentified man leaning on a railing made of tree branches, with palm trees and other vegetation in the background. Echo Lake Park opened in 1895. The lake was originally created in 1868 to support the operations of a mill. The mill, however, closed seven years later. The site was later selected for conversion to a city park.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal," c. 1905. Overview shot of the Benicia Arsenal. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops, from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "China Clipper -- Alameda Airport. Nov. 22, 1935." View of the China Clipper, a Martin M-130 four-engine flying boat constructed for Pan American Airways in 1935. One of the largest planes of its time, the China Clipper flew the first transpacific commercial airmail flight between San Francisco and Manila in the Philippines. The China Clipper was destroyed in a crash ten years later, in January 1945, at the Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
Date: 11/22/1935
-
Hand-drawn sketch map of Canadita or Laguna Seca boundaries. Volume 1, page 168.
Date: 1833
-
Caption: "Western States Tour - Left San Francisco May 21, 1935, Returned Sept. 10, 1935 - Traveled 7,124 Mi. Note Dark Line." The California State Automobile Association map of the U.S. shows the route that William and Grace McCarthy took during their 1935 tour of the western states, including national parks.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Yellowstone Transportation Bus," c. 1923. William and Grace McCarthy (second row from the back, middle and right-hand seats) and a group of unidentified people stop for a photograph while sitting in an eleven-passenger, open-roofed touring bus in Yellowstone National Park. The touring bus, likely made by White Motor Company, was one of a fleet of such vehicles maintained by the Yellowstone Park Transportation Company.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Skaggs Springs," c. 1914. William and Grace McCarthy (fourth and fifth from the left) standing on a log with a group of unidentified friends and family in the Skaggs Springs area of Sonoma County. Skaggs Springs was a resort area along the Russian River, known for its hot springs. The area now lies beneath the waters of Lake Sonoma, flooded after construction of the Warm Springs Dam, completed in 1982.
Date: 1914
-
Caption: "Mammoth Springs Resort. - Yellowstone," c. 1923. William and Grace McCarthy pose in front of the Mammoth Springs Resort with three unidentified people. Originally called the National Hotel, the building opened for business in 1883. It underwent significant alterations and renovations between 1911 and 1913, by which time the resort was known as the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. The hotel was torn down in 1936 in favor of a more modern facility.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Office," c. 1915. William McCarthy began his career as an inspector of armaments for the U.S. War Department at the Benicia Arsenal in 1903. The arsenal was established in 1851 as the first Ordnance Supply Depot in the West, from which it supplied and supported U.S. troops from the Civil War through WWII and the Korean War. It was deactivated in 1963.
Date: 1915