Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5861 to 5870 of 5921

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 088

    Caption: "Fort Ward, Wash.," c. 1908-1912. View from Puget Sound of a wharf and other buildings of Fort Ward. Originally known as Bean Point, Fort Ward was established by the U.S. Army Coastal Artillery Corps in 1890. Re-named Fort Ward in 1903, the facility included four coastal batteries designed to assist in protecting Puget Sound and the nearby Naval Shipyard from enemy attack. Fort Ward was placed on inactive status in the 1920s, but was revived by the U.S. Navy during World War II. The Navy discovered the fort's location was ideal for listening to radio communications from Japan, and it subsequently became a top secret listening post with a link directly to Washington, D.C. The Navy continued the fort's use as a listening post until 1956, when it was again taken over by the U.S. Army. The Army subsequently stopped all activity in 1958, ultimately selling portions of the fort to the Washington State Park System in 1960. It is now a state park.

    Date: 1908

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0362

    Imperial Mousseux

    Date: 1876

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2184

    Uncle Sam Brand

    Date: 1892

  • Memorial to Viola Fauver Gregg Liuzzo, page 1

    This item has no description.

    Date: 2010

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 210

    Caption: "CORONADO. TENT CITY.," c. 1910. View of rows of tents and sheds thatched in palm fronds along the coast near Coronado Hotel, with people strolling along the roadways. Established in 1900 for travelers who could not afford to stay in the resort hotel, the Coronado Tent City consisted of a grid of streets lined with furnished tents, near the sea shore. It also featured restaurants, a library, soda fountain, theater, bandstand, and other recreational facilities. See also 96-07-08-alb05-202 and 96-07-08-alb08-263.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 263

    No Caption: c. 1910. View of rows of tents and sheds thatched in palm fronds along the coast near Coronado Hotel, with people strolling along the roadways. Established in 1900 for travelers who could not afford to stay in the resort hotel, the Coronado Tent City consisted of a grid of streets lined with furnished tents, near the sea shore. It also featured restaurants, a library, soda fountain, theater, bandstand, and other recreational facilities. See also 96-07-08-alb05-202 and 96-07-08-alb08-210.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 276

    Caption: "Hotshkiss [sic], 1 pounder." The United States purchased artillery from the French arms firm, Hotchkiss, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The arms firm was created by American gunsmith, Benjamin B. Hotchkiss, who moved to France in 1867 to set up the factory. The heavy artillery was first used by the United States against the Nez Perce in 1877. In 1890, they were used at the Wounded Knee Massacre, and also for the attack on San Juan Hill during the Spanish-American War.

    Date: Undated

  • Guadalasca (Guadalagsa) Rancho

    Hand-drawn sketch map of Guadalasca (Guasalagsa) boundaries. Volume 1, page 30.

    Date: 1836

  • Memo on Dr. Ishimaru

    Office Memorandum from Margaret S. Watkins to Martha A. Chickering regarding children at Manzanar

    Date: January 12, 1943

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 231

    Caption: "St. Louis Cathedral Built in 1794 by Don Andreas Almonastry Roxas - Jacksen[sic] Park - New Orleans." St. Louis Cathedral anchors one end of Jackson Square in New Orleans' French Quarter. The structure of the cathedral largely dates to the 1850 restoration and expansion of an older cathedral built on the site in 1793. Very little of the older church survived, although the central bell tower (added on to the older church in 1819) was reused in the new structure and is still extant today. A statue of Andrew Jackson mounted on a rearing horse (Clark Mills, sculptor) stands in the square in front of the cathedral. The sculpture was erected in 1856. See also 96-07-08-alb11-052.

    Date: 6/15/1934