Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5911 to 5920 of 5921

  • Dr Reid's Journal

    A series of short notations about hospital patients under the supervision of Dr. Reid. Volumes one through four in this series run chronologically, starting in 1852 and ending in 1856. The entries include details such as patient name, nationality, and age, as well as mental disposition. A researcher with an interest in a particular hospital patient may find Reidà¿s journals useful. Dr. Robert K. Reid's medical journals do not include private thoughts about the medical profession or details about Reid's role as a physician at Stockton State Hospital. The fifth volume in the series contains Dr. Reid's Meteorological Observations. Beginning in 1850, Reid recorded daily meteorological observations, including three daily temperature recordings, taken at 8 a.m., 2 p.m., and 8 p.m.. He also recorded cloud, wind, and rain observations, and in 1853, began recording daily barometric pressures. Dr. Robert K. Reid's Meteorological Observations journal continues through 1856.

    Date: 1850-1856

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 274

    Caption: "Venice, Calif," c. 1911. Unidentified woman standing on a bridge over Lion Canal in Venice, California. In 1905, Abbot Kinney built a series of canals as part of a development project along Santa Monica Beach, hoping to recreate the look and feel of Italy's iconic "Floating City" in southern California. Called Ocean Park at first, gondoliers sailed boats under elegant bridges such as the one shown in this photograph, in an effort to attract businesses, residents, and investors. In 1911, the name officially changed to Venice. By 1929, however, many of the canals had been filled in to create roadways, and those canals that remained fell into disrepair. A revitalization movement in the early 1990s has restored some of the canals, and made the area a desirable residential neighborhood.

    Date: 1911

  • Monterey County, Placer Times and Transcript: Census of 1852, State of California

    Closeup on Monterey County from image of a page from the newspaper Placer Times reporting the Census of 1852 returns.

    Date: 1853

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0959

    Valvate Oil

    Date: 1883

  • Key Positions

    Map of San Francisco Bay indicating positions of key locations in the vicinity' Prepared by San Francisco District U. S. Coast Guard

    Date: Undated

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 283

    Caption: "Union Pacific Streamline Train. Chicago Fair. Sept. 22, 1934." View of the engine on the Union Pacific's new M-10000, on exhibit at Chicago's Century of Progress Exposition. The M-10000 was the first lightweight express passenger train powered by an internal combustion engine in the U.S. The train went on an exhibition tour of the US in 1934, which included a stop at the Exposition. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms."

    Date: 9/22/1934

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 331

    Caption: "Golden Gate Bridge Opening Day. U.S. Fleet Passing Under the Golden Gate Bridge. U.S. Flag Ship Pennsylvania [sic]. May 28, 1937." View of the super-dreadnaught battleship USS Pennsylvania as she passed under the Golden Gate Bridge as part of the celebrations surrounding the bridge's opening day. The third U.S. Navy ship named for the state of Pennsylvania, she was launched in 1915. The Pennsylvania served in both the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets, and was damaged while in dry-dock during the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. After being repaired, she spend the remainder of World War II in the Pacific Theater. Hit by a torpedo in August 1945, the severely damaged Pennsylvania was repaired well enough to serve as a target ship during Operation Crossroads atomic bomb tests off Bikini Atoll in July 1946. She was decommissioned that year, and after undergoing radiation testing, was scuttled by the U.S. Navy in February 1948.

    Date: 5/28/1937

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 275

    Caption: "Sky Ride Across Lagoon. View from Swifts Music Stand. Chicago Fair, Sept. 18, 1934." One of the 628-foot towers making up the Sky Ride, an aerial tramway which carried fair goers in small gondolas or trams (visible in the center of the photograph) over the harbor around which the Century of Progress Exposition was held. Over 4.5 million passengers enjoyed the views from the Sky Ride before it was demolished after the conclusion of the exposition in 1934. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms."

    Date: 9/18/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 149

    No Caption: c. 1910. View of the Point Adams Lifesaving Station near Hammond, Oregon, including a rowboat ("Point Adams") manned by eight rowers, with one man at the rudder. The Point Adams Lifesaving Station was established in 1889 by the federal government, in response to growing numbers of merchant, fishing, and other sailing vessels along the Columbia River. The stationhouse, visible in the center of the photograph, was demolished in 1939 to make way for a new building. The two-bay boathouse visible at the right had to be moved in 1913-1915 due to erosion of the bank upon which it stood. The U.S. Coastguard took over operation of the station in 1915. The station remained operational until 1967. The remaining buildings now house the Point Adams Research Facility of the Northwest Fisheries Science Center.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 238

    Caption: "Fort Point -- Interior," c. 1910. Postcard showing a view of an interior hall or walkway featuring several arches at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1910