Search All Items
- Filters:
- Type
- Image 3871
- Still Image 1866
- Text 426
- Text 51
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
- Language
- English 6200
- Spanish 19
- ENGLISH 2
- English 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
Search Results 5921 to 5930 of 6290
-
Office Memorandum from Bertha S. Underhill to Mary LeHane regarding reopening the Japanese Children's Home; Attachments: F3729_111_008b, F3729_111_008c-F3729_111_008d
Date: August 10, 1945
-
Caption: "Review, Fort Worden.," c. 1908-1912. Shows a military band playing or preparing to play, with rows of troops assembled in the background on the right side of the photograph. Fort Worden is located in Port Townsend, Washington, on Admiralty Inlet of Puget Sound. Construction began on the fort in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the State of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "Life At Camp Curry," c. 1917. Two unidentified people pose in front of their tent at Camp Curry. An arrow points to an enameled pail just inside the tent, labeled "For Use in Case of Fire." Yosemite's Half Dome Village, established by David and Jennie Curry in 1899, was originally called Camp Curry, and then later Curry Village. It was designed to provide cheaper accommodations for Yosemite tourists than the resort hotels. The couple set up furnished tents and provided amenities such as a dining tent. As attendance at the park increased, the couple constructed more facilities with more modern amenities. In 2016, as a result of a legal dispute over trademarked names in the park, Curry Village changed its name to Half Dome Village.
Date: 1917
-
Caption: "Green Hotel, Pasadena, Cal.," c. 1905. View of Castle Green, built as an annex to the Hotel Green in 1899. The original Hotel Green opened for business as a lavish resort in 1894. Its success prompted owner George Gill Green to expand the hotel and build the additional facility shown here, connected to the original hotel by an elaborate enclosed pedestrian bridge (seen at the far right of this photograph). This second building, designed by architect Frederick I. Roehrig with Spanish, Moorish, and Victorian elements, became known as "Castle Green." Business declined in the 1910s, and the complex was sold to a series of investors. In the mid-1920s, Castle Green was subdivided into fifty residential apartments. It remains a residential complex today.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Longfellow Bridge, Boston, Mass. Sept. 5, 1934." The Longfellow Bridge spans the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. Originally called the Cambridge Bridge, it replaced a wood structure called the West Boston Bridge that had been constructed in 1793. This wood bridge was unable to handle large volumes of traffic or the introduction of street cars, so a new bridge was built in the early twentieth century. Opened in 1906 as the Cambridge Bridge, the name was changed in 1927 to the Longfellow Bridge in honor of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It is colloquially known as the Salt and Pepper Bridge, as its central towers are reminiscent in shape of salt and pepper shakers.
Date: 9/5/1934
-
Caption: "We stopped at Gandy Courts." A section of a tourist informational brochure describing the village of Tamazunchale, in "the heart of the Huastecan Indian country."
Date: 1938