Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 5931 to 5940 of 6290

  • Liberty Ice Cream Company Correspondence

    This item has no description.

    Date: 1972

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 004

    Caption: "Conservatory, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, May 14, 1934." View of one wing of the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park. A planting bed in front of the wing has been planted with flowers in such a way as to portray the California flag and the letters "California Diamond Jubilee, 1850-1925." The date on this photograph may not be accurate, given the dates included in the flower bed. The Conservatory of Flowers is the oldest building in Golden Gate Park, dating to 1879. The Victorian-style building has housed rare and exotic plants since its completion.

    Date: 5/14/1934

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 065

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House, Wash." c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 130

    Caption: "Portion of Interior. Fort Point.," c. 1906. View of arched colonnades on ground and middle floors of Fort Point, and an upper tier with barbettes for the future installation of heavy artillery coastal defense weapons. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 446

    Caption: "Obregon's tomb, Mexico City." William and Grace McCarthy standing before the monument to General Alvaro Obregon (1880-1928), who was a leader of the Mexican Revolution (1920-1920). Obregon was elected President of post-Revolution Mexico, serving from 1920-1924. In 1928, he was again elected but was assassinated by Jose de Leon Toral, a Roman Catholic who opposed Obregon's policies on religious matters. The monument was completed in 1935 and stands in the San Angel region of Mexico City, in the same location where Obregon was assassinated.

    Date: 1938

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 197

    Caption: "George Washington Bridge. New Jersey to New York. Aug 1, 1934." This suspension bridge, designed by Othmar Ammann, spans the Hudson River between Manhattan in New York City, and Fort Lee, New Jersey. Constructed between 1927 and 1931, the bridge included the longest main span in the world at the time, a record it held until construction of the Golden Gate Bridge was completed in 1937. It was originally built with only one deck, but a second deck opened in 1962. Still in active use today, it carried over 51 million vehicles in 2016.

    Date: 8/1/1934

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 236

    Caption: "George Washington Bridge, Crossing the Hudson River, N.Y. Sept. 3, 1934." This suspension bridge, designed by Othmar Ammann, spans the Hudson River between Manhattan in New York City, and Fort Lee, New Jersey. Constructed between 1927 and 1931, the bridge included the longest main span in the world at the time, a record it held until construction of the Golden Gate Bridge was completed in 1937. It was originally built with only one deck (as seen in this photograph), but a second deck opened in 1962. Still in active use today, it carried over 51 million vehicles in 2016.

    Date: 9/3/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 112

    No Caption: c. 1909. View of the steamship Minnesota II, built in 1903. She was said to be the largest U.S. merchant ship afloat at the time. Operated by the Great Northern Steamship Company, she sailed between the U.S. and markets in Asia until 1915 when she was sold. In 1917 the Minnesota II began operating in the Atlantic between the U.S. and the United Kingdom. The U.S. Navy commissioned her as a troop ship in 1919, changing her name to Troy. She brought over 14,000 U.S. troops home from war-torn Europe. She never resumed active service after this, being scrapped in 1923.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 070

    Caption: "Port Townsend Bicycle Club.," c. 1910. Seven unidentified men and women posing with bicycles. The bicycle made its first appearance in the Puget Sound area in the late 1870s. Within twenty years, thousands of enthusiasts had adapted the new mode of transportation. Such enthusiasts often formed clubs, such as the Queen City Good Roads Club, based in Seattle (south of Port Townsend). These clubs advocated, constructed, and helped to maintain pathways dedicated specifically to bicycle traffic. Ironically, the efforts made by the bicyclists to generally improve roadways contributed to the rise of another new mode of transportation -- the automobile.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 115

    Caption: "Key West Residence of Judge Harris, Most Southern Point in the United States July 2, 1934." View of the Queen Anne-style Victorian mansion constructed in Key West by Judge Vinning Harris in 1897. The home was originally touted as occupying the southernmost point in the U.S., resulting in the colloquial name "Southernmost House." During the Prohibition years (1920-1933) the house operated as a speakeasy, with a restaurant and casino. In 1939, it was converted to use as a nightclub. Today, it has been renovated for use as a bed-and-breakfast.

    Date: 7/2/1934