Search All Items

Note: Check the about page for more information on the data sources used in this search

Search Results 6531 to 6537 of 6537

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 218

    Caption: "CHICAGO BOYS LANDING AT FORT ROSECRANS." View of US Navy sailors coming ashore at Fort Rosecrans. The flagship of the US fleet in the Pacific at the time, the USS Chicago was called to the fort after a boiler explosion on the USS Bennington killed sixty-six and wounded dozens more. A board of inquiry into the cause of the explosion was convened on board the Chicago. The board found that no error on the part of the Bennington's crew contributed to the explosion.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 02, Photograph 080

    No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb08-217 with caption: "Last Rites," shows a grave site with dozens of caskets ready for burial. A priest and two altar boys stand at one side of the caskets, while a large group of US Navy sailors looks on from the other side. While sailing from port in San Diego on the morning of July 21, 1905, the boiler of the USS Bennington exploded, killing sixty-six of her crew. The victims were laid to rest in the cemetery at Fort Rosecrans.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 054

    Caption: "Dry Dock, Bremerton." Bremerton, Washington, c. 1908-1912. See also 96-07-08-alb08-085. View of a dry dock at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington. Established in 1891 as a naval station, it became Naval Yard Puget Sound in 1901. During World War I the shipyard constructed hundreds of ships to support the war effort, while in World War II, the shipyard was dedicated primarily to repairing damaged ships. Today, it contains a portion of the U.S. Navy's mothball fleet (ships retired but retained in case of future need), as well as building, repairing, and maintaining sea-going vessels of all kinds.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 142

    Caption: "Buriel [sic] of the U.S.S. Bennington Victims. -- Fort Rosecrans." Shows a grave site with dozens of caskets ready for burial. A priest and two altar boys stand at one side of the caskets, while a large group of U.S. Navy sailors looks on from the other side. While sailing from port in San Diego on the morning of July 21, 1905, the boiler of the USS Bennington exploded, killing sixty-six of her crew. The victims were laid to rest in the cemetery at Fort Rosecrans. See also 96-07-08-alb08-217.

    Date: 1905-07-23

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 199

    Caption: "Statue of Liberty, New York. Aug 2, 1934." View of the Statue of Liberty on Bedloe Island (now called Liberty Island). Designed by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, the now-iconic statue was a gift from the people of France to the U.S. Built in segments in France by Gustave Eiffel (also famous for building the Eiffel Tower in Paris), the pieces were shipped from Paris to New York in 1885 and assembled. The Statue of Liberty was subsequently dedicated on October 28, 1886.

    Date: 8/2/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 238

    Caption: "Fort Point -- Interior," c. 1910. Postcard showing a view of an interior hall or walkway featuring several arches at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 149

    No Caption: c. 1910. View of the Point Adams Lifesaving Station near Hammond, Oregon, including a rowboat ("Point Adams") manned by eight rowers, with one man at the rudder. The Point Adams Lifesaving Station was established in 1889 by the federal government, in response to growing numbers of merchant, fishing, and other sailing vessels along the Columbia River. The stationhouse, visible in the center of the photograph, was demolished in 1939 to make way for a new building. The two-bay boathouse visible at the right had to be moved in 1913-1915 due to erosion of the bank upon which it stood. The U.S. Coastguard took over operation of the station in 1915. The station remained operational until 1967. The remaining buildings now house the Point Adams Research Facility of the Northwest Fisheries Science Center.

    Date: 1910