Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 9 of 9
-
Caption: "The S.P. snow sheds cutting through the rugged Sierra summit." Mountain scene with snow sheds sheltering the Southern Pacific Railroad's tracks through the Sierra Nevada Mountains from winter storms.
Date: 1927
-
Caption: "Tamalpais Tavern," c. 1907. The Tamalpais Tavern opened in 1896 on top of Mount Tamalpais and quickly became a popular destination for Bay Area residents who rode the Muir Woods Railway up and down the mountain. A fire destroyed the tavern in 1923 and a smaller, more modest building was erected in 1924 but closed at the start of World War II.
Date: 1907
-
Caption: "South Gardens," Grace and William McCarthy riding in an electric motor chair, also known as the Osborn Electriquette, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915
-
No Caption: Photograph of part of a print from the Illustrated London News, regarding placement and operation of coastal artillery defense methods. See also 96-07-08-alb05-095.
Date: 1910-09-03
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Storehouse Ruins," c. 1915, shows some remaining walls of the Benicia Arsenal storehouse, which suffered damage from a 1912 explosion.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Sacramento River Scene," c. 1910. Train running along Sacramento River in foothills or mountains. See also 96-07-08-alb08-037.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Call Building Burning," shows the Call Building on Market and 3rd Streets on fire after the earthquake, with people and horses in the foreground. Considered one of the worst natural disasters in the country's history, the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and resulting fires killed an estimated 3,000 people and destroyed over 500 city blocks, leaving approximately 200,000 residents homeless.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Approaching Grinnell Glacier - Glacier National Park," c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Carquinez Bridge, Crockett, California. Oct. 9, 1934." This photograph shows the original Carquinez Bridge, built to span the Carquinez Strait and thereby contribute to a direct route between Sacramento and San Francisco. The steel cantilevered bridge, designed by Robinson & Steinman, was constructed in 1927. It is no longer extant, having been replaced by two parallel bridges constructed in 1958 and 2003. The structure of the original bridge was removed in 2007. See also 96-07-08-alb04-004.
Date: 10/9/1934