Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 6 of 6

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 125

    No caption, c. 1906. Unidentified woman sitting on bench in garden under trees.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 01, Photograph 147

    Caption: "Court House - Los Angeles." c. 1915-1920. The Los Angeles County Courthouse, also known as the Red Sandstone Courthouse, was completed in 1891. Located at the southeast corner of Temple and Broadway, the courthouse was damaged beyond repair by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake and demolished in 1936. To the left of the courthouse stands the Hall of Records, built in 1911 and used, along with other buildings, as the county courthouse from 1934 until 1959, when the current courthouse was occupied. The Hall of Records was demolished in 1973.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 066

    Caption: "S.P. Shasta Route." Southern Pacific train on the Shasta route with Mt. Shasta in the background, c. 1905.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 145

    Caption: "Pile Driver in the Breakers, Columbia River Jetty.," c. 1910. View of a large pile driver used in the construction of the jetty system at the mouth of the Columbia River. This is likely at the end of the so-called South Jetty, extending more than six miles into the ocean from Point Adams on the Oregon side of the river mouth. The jetty system at the mouth of the Columbia River was constructed between 1885 and 1917. Designed to funnel water from the Columbia River in a more concentrated fashion into the Pacific Ocean, the jetty system helped create a deeper, more stable shipping channel.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 080

    Caption: "Union Depot - Kansas City," c. 1923. This Beaux Arts-style rail station opened in 1914, replacing a small depot from 1871. Decreasing rail passenger traffic after World War II resulted in the closure of the depot in 1985. However, the restored depot later reopened in 1999, containing museums and other attractions. In 2002, it was again put to service as a rail depot when Amtrak again brought passenger trains to the area.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 229

    Caption: "Desdamona [sic] Lighthouse.," c. 1905-1909. View of the Desdemona Lighthouse, constructed in 1901 or 1902 on wood pilings over a group of shoals at the mouth of the Columbia River. The shoals carry the same name as the lighthouse, both of which are named for the boat Desdemona which ran aground and was destroyed by the shoals in 1857. The lighthouse was automated in 1934, and its light eventually removed in 1965.

    Date: 1905