Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 4 of 4
-
Caption: "Desdamona [sic] Lighthouse.," c. 1905-1909. View of the Desdemona Lighthouse, constructed in 1901 or 1902 on wood pilings over a group of shoals at the mouth of the Columbia River. The shoals carry the same name as the lighthouse, both of which are named for the boat Desdemona which ran aground and was destroyed by the shoals in 1857. The lighthouse was automated in 1934, and its light eventually removed in 1965.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Zion National Park - view from Zion Park Tunnel," c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Festival Hall Night Scene," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-115, with caption: "Festival Hall - Night Reflections."
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Museum -- Golden Gate Park," c. 1922. The Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park, designed by Louis Christian Mulgardt in the Spanish-Plateresque style, was built in 1919. Michael H. de Young, co-founder of the San Francisco Chronicle, added the central tower in 1921. The museum's name was later changed to honor de Young, becoming the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum (now commonly known as the de Young Museum). This building has since been replaced with a more modern facility.
Date: 1922