Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 10 of 10
-
Caption: "Fort Casey Light House [sic]," c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park. See also 96-07-08-alb03-065.
Date: 1905
-
No caption, c. 1915. Two unidentified people sitting on a bench overlooking a garden.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Damaged German Submarine.," c. 1917. Shows the above-water portions of a German U-boat, or submarine, likely docked in either Petaluma or San Francisco, given the presence of a Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railway ferry in the background.
Date: 1917
-
No Caption: shows the Tower of Jewels at night, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Adams Springs -- Lake Co.," c. 1920. Buildings in Adams Springs, likely part of the resort that operated there in the first half of the twentieth century.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "Columbia River Jetty, Or.," c. 1910. View of a jetty built at the mouth of the Columbia River, carrying a railroad trestle. A train and its operators, hauling cars loaded with large rocks, dominates the photograph. This is likely the so-called South Jetty, extending more than six miles into the ocean from Point Adams on the Oregon side of the river mouth. The jetty system at the mouth of the Columbia River was constructed between 1885 and 1917. Designed to funnel water from the Columbia River in a more concentrated fashion into the Pacific Ocean, the jetty system helped create a deeper, more stable shipping channel.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Palace Hotel Court," c. 1906. (Handwritten on photograph: "copyright 1906 by W.E Worden."). The Palace Hotel was originally built in 1875, rebuilt in 1909, and was one of the first premier luxury hotels in San Francisco.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Mountain Scene -- Lake Tahoe." Mountains in background, lake in foreground.
Date: 1927
-
No Caption: The Fountain of The Rising Sun (Adolph A. Weinman, sculptor), in the Court of the Universe, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915
-
Unidentified African-American woman, several children, and a dog, posing on and around the porch of a wood-plank home. *Please note:* Original caption removed due to sensitive content. To view the original photograph with caption, please contact the California State Archives Reference Desk.
Date: 6/17/1934