Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 6 of 6

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 145

    Caption: "Pile Driver in the Breakers, Columbia River Jetty.," c. 1910. View of a large pile driver used in the construction of the jetty system at the mouth of the Columbia River. This is likely at the end of the so-called South Jetty, extending more than six miles into the ocean from Point Adams on the Oregon side of the river mouth. The jetty system at the mouth of the Columbia River was constructed between 1885 and 1917. Designed to funnel water from the Columbia River in a more concentrated fashion into the Pacific Ocean, the jetty system helped create a deeper, more stable shipping channel.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 080

    Caption: "Union Depot - Kansas City," c. 1923. This Beaux Arts-style rail station opened in 1914, replacing a small depot from 1871. Decreasing rail passenger traffic after World War II resulted in the closure of the depot in 1985. However, the restored depot later reopened in 1999, containing museums and other attractions. In 2002, it was again put to service as a rail depot when Amtrak again brought passenger trains to the area.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 229

    Caption: "Desdamona [sic] Lighthouse.," c. 1905-1909. View of the Desdemona Lighthouse, constructed in 1901 or 1902 on wood pilings over a group of shoals at the mouth of the Columbia River. The shoals carry the same name as the lighthouse, both of which are named for the boat Desdemona which ran aground and was destroyed by the shoals in 1857. The lighthouse was automated in 1934, and its light eventually removed in 1965.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 102

    Caption: "Zion National Park - view from Zion Park Tunnel," c. 1935.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 137

    Caption: "Festival Hall Night Scene," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-115, with caption: "Festival Hall - Night Reflections."

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 151

    Caption: "Museum -- Golden Gate Park," c. 1922. The Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park, designed by Louis Christian Mulgardt in the Spanish-Plateresque style, was built in 1919. Michael H. de Young, co-founder of the San Francisco Chronicle, added the central tower in 1921. The museum's name was later changed to honor de Young, becoming the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum (now commonly known as the de Young Museum). This building has since been replaced with a more modern facility.

    Date: 1922