Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 4 of 4
-
Caption: "Field Piece in Action." Unidentified location, c. 1905-1915. Shows a crew of men operating a 3" field gun, a heavy artillery gun set onto a carriage for mobile use. The U.S. military used these guns between 1905 and 1919, gradually phasing them out of use during the 1920s in favor of more modern weapons.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "House of Charm - San Diego Exposition," 1935.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Night Scenes," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Fort Marion, St. Augustine, Florida. July 10, 1934." Walkway atop what appears to be the ramparts of the Castillo de San Marcos (Castle of Saint Mark). The core structures of this coastal defense fort were completed by Spanish forces in 1695. Numerous additions, renovations, and repairs have occurred since that time. When Spain ceded Florida to the U.S. in 1821, the Castillo was designated a U.S. Army base and renamed Fort Marion, in honor of Frances Marion (also known as the Swamp Fox, Marion was an American Revolutionary War hero known for his guerilla war tactics). The fort was deactivated in 1933, and turned over to the National Park Service.
Date: 7/10/1934