Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 6 of 6

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 003

    Caption: "City Hall, San Francisco.," c. 1925. View of the Beaux Arts-style building that replaced San Francisco's City Hall after the original building was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire. Designed by architect Arthur Brown, Jr., the building occupies two full city blocks. See also 96-07-08-alb09-005, 96-07-08-alb10-001, and 96-07-08-alb11-001.

    Date: 1925

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 065

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House [sic]," c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at the fort. The man and woman shown in the photograph (standing with a dog) are likely Charles H. Davis and his second wife Delia (Overton) Davis. Charles Davis was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park. See also 96-07-08-alb02-057.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 01, Photograph 093

    No Caption: Court of Abundance at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.

    Date: 1915

  • eichler_f3274_130_002

    Caption: "San Diego." Drawing of San Diego State College drawn by Alfred Eichler. Design by H. S. Hazen. Project for Department of Education.

    Date: undated

  • eichler_f3274_095

    Caption: "Typical Barracks Bldg." Color drawing of California Maritime Academy barracks by Alfred Eichler. Project for Department of Education.

    Date: undated

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 282

    Caption: "Sept. 20, 1934, The Big Studebaker Theatre. Capacity 80 People. Chicago Fair." This giant replica of a 1934 Studebaker Land Cruiser at the Century of Progress Exposition, made of plaster over a wood frame, sat above a small theater capable of sitting eighty people. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms."

    Date: 9/20/1934